Impact of Irma on Florida travel plans.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

decaturbob

We have a trip planned in January for 3 months in FLorida with 2 months at an RV park at Punta Gorda.  Looks like Irma will be making a direct landfall right there this Sunday.  I guess I'll wait and see what the damage is before having to go to plan B.  Not sure if others are looking at same situation or not.

Oh yeah, we're definitely in "wait and see" mode right now. Then we'll decide if there is a viable "Plan B" for us other than spending the winter at our Adirondack cottage. We'd rather not do that of course, but it wouldn't be the end of the world...

We are in a similar situation.  Have a house rented in Marathon for a family Christmas, then resorts, state and local parks until April.  This has started me wondering where else one could go to keep warm this winter.  Any suggestions?

Yep, this:

http://www.dovebof.org/

You can still go to Florida or Texas and stay warm.

If you desire to work with a Christian group:

http://www.work-for-rvers-and-campers.com/volunteer-organizations.html

Not to worry. They'll have everything cleaned up by tourist season.

Well, Marathon, they will be pretty much ground zero for Irma, it looks like. I would call in a few weeks and make sure that the house is still there.

If the carnage is as bad as it sounds like it could be, the RV parks will be heavily used by construction workers during the rebuilding and local residents staying in them while they rebuild.  After Hurricane Ike hit the Galveston, TX area in 2008, RV parks were full up for quite a while. Irma could be many times worse than Ike. 

Used RV's could bring a premium price as folks look for an inexpensive place to live while their homes are being rebuilt.

I think the areas of Florida hit by the storm won't be a very fun place to be for a couple years.

Having been in Florida through a number of Hurricanes, it usually doesn't take that long to get things sorted out.
Port Charlotte area got hit pretty bad in 2004, and it was back in business by Christmas.
The Keys will bear the brunt of this storm. It will be a CAT3 by the time it affects any major area other than the Keys.
So, if your plans include the Florida Keys, you may want to touch base with them in a month or so.
As big as the hype has been, this will be nothing like Katrina or Harvey, or Andrew.
This is, of course, only my opinion, and I have been known to be wrong, but I still plan to be in Florida for Christmas.

Wasoki said:
We are in a similar situation.  Have a house rented in Marathon for a family Christmas, then resorts, state and local parks until April.  This has started me wondering where else one could go to keep warm this winter.  Any suggestions?

Come to Arizona!  Most winter visitors head toward Phoenix and west, but Tucson and the surrounding area is an amazing place to visit.

We stay in Woodsmoke Camping Resort in Ft Myers. Most of the park models survived without significant damage as did the trailers. That suggests that unless flooding was an issue, most buildings will have survived just fine. Note that we had a deluge just a couple of weeks ago that probably caused as much flooding as Irma.

No power, but that shoud be repaired within a few weeks at most. I don't think anywwhere North of the keys will be seriously impacted for the season.

I sure hope so; it's damn cold up here in Georgia.

Ernie

The Keys got beat up pretty bad. My friends from Marathon have not been able to get back to see what it looks like, yet. US 1 is closed to non-emergency traffic.
They are planning to get with some other folks and take a boat tomorrow.

My sister lives in Ormond Beach. She said they got a little damage, but not very much. They don't have power, but her son, my nephew, lives about 6 miles north of her, and he has power.
They all live right on A1A.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom