Dometic fridge won't switch from electric to gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paula fenn

The fridge works on electric but when I unplug re should go to gas and it's not doing that and won't let me manually switch. Do I have to wait. What am I doing wrong. Also check light has not turned off since I first plugged rv to electric.  Help please

Turn refer off, wait 30 seconds and turn on.  That should chear the code.  Turn on gas bottles, light a stove top burner.  This can take a couple of minutes.  Once you have good burner flames, manually switch refer to gas mode.  It should light then as long as you have 12VDC to the refer and no blown fuses.  Refers require 120VDC, 120VAC and propane to work as intended.  They absolutely must have 12VDC but propane or 120VAC can be an option and the refer will see one or the other lacking and switch modes accordingly.  If both are present it defaults to the cheapest (120VAC).

The Check light basically applies to an LP gas mode failure, normally an attempt to light the burner that failed.

Turn the fridge off as Donn advised to see if that clears the check light. If it does, LP Gas mode should work after. Make sure the main valve at the LP tank is turned on before attempting to use gas mode. If the Check light does not clear, there may be a problem with the control circuit board in the fridge. If the Check light has stayed on, something is wrong and that will inhibit LP gas mode operation.

Please give the fridge model number, e.g. RM2852, in your reply, so that we know how to answer better. There are about a dozen Dometic brand fridges currently available, plus many more over the last 25 or so years.

Well ok please don't judge.  Neither gas bottle was on. My husband has brain damage from a serious fall and sometimes gets mixed up. He's soooo lucky to be married to someone with an engineer's way of thinking. Thank you all for your help and we are now ready to roll.

we don't judge, so nothing for you to worry about. Having had a stroke, I know all about not thinking correctly. I'm soooo lucky and blessed to be married to a wonderful woman too.

Back
Top Bottom