Thor Product

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danford50

I like  reading post especially the one about thor product and very seldom do I read a positive post about any thor motorhome , I know any product has some problem  or issue even, I have read some reviews about newmar, tiffen  that was not that good, has anyone had a thor who has had good service from them? or who would purchase another thor.

I have a thor product , however I got it back in May of this year, have had some issue with my thor such as the battery had to be replace in a one year old motorhome, having issue with my back yp camera  and my interior light not working, they only work when I have the generator running or plug into shore power, but not off the battery

danford50 said:
I like  reading post especially the one about thor product and very seldom do I read a positive post about any thor motorhome , I know any product has some problem  or issue even, I have read some reviews about newmar, tiffen  that was not that good, has anyone had a thor who has had good service from them? or who would purchase another thor.

danford50
Every RV is problematic sooner or later... (not only Thor products).
IMO that's why you very seldom read a positive post.

I'm sure there are happy Thor product owners, but people are far more likely to post complaints than compliments.

Thor has a lot of lower-tier (budget-priced) models and newcomers to RVs may often overlook tech details and under-the-covers attributes that can make a difference in the ownership experience.

The small shop I work at here in town, does a booming business in tire repairs, esp., in the summer. We see a lot of Goodyear Wranglers for repairs. At first glance, you would be tempted to come to the conclusion that Wranglers are junk tires. However, I believe it's more a function of the number of Wranglers on the road, compared to other tires, rather than the quality of their product. There are other factors that may play a part in this also, such as people/tire companies buying/selling 4 ply tires when they should be looking at 6 or 8's, esp., since we are in Colorado. But the point is, you may be seeing more talk about Thor RV's just because of the number on the road, not necessarily because they are a bad product.

Indeed. Thor owns so many brands that it would be hard to avoid negative comments.  I suspect many of them have no more (or less) complaints than any other brand. For example, Airstream is a Thor brand.

Speaking of Thor,  and low cost tire problems.

A friend bought a brand new Thor and it was an okay motorhome.....expect for when it blew a front tire and took out the headlight assembly and wiring.

danford50 said:
...very seldom do I read a positive post about any thor motorhome...

OK, here's one.

2006 Thor Mandalay 40E. Fantastic floor plan. 95,000 miles. Freightliner chassis. Cummins 400 HP ISL. Absolutely love it.

Just concluded our maiden voyage in our new Thor Aria 3901. Loved the engine and chassis. Took on the Rockies with no problems. Highly recommend Freightliner and Cummins combo. However, water heater trips circuit breaker in electric mode and doesn't fire up on propane. Washer did not have water hooked up and dryer's vent not attached. Jacks went haywire on day 5 and had to have hoses reconnected and new ATF refilled. Bath sinks leaks so bad could not be used. GFI in 1/2 bath keeps tripping even with nothing connected to any of the outlets on the circuit. Windshield is cracked down the middle, has to be replaced. OK, that's enough of the bad. Love the floor plan and the ride. Looks good in the lot, as well. Tough to handle in the winds of KS and OK, however. I'm curious as to how much and how quickly repairs will be made. If done promptly with little resistance, I'll be a happy owner.

I just purchased a Thor 27.2 ACE. My wife and I just took it out for a short trip away from home (125 miles), and three nights camping.

Have a few minor problems for the dealer to address, fit and seal of the door, the steering wheel is not regulated straight, some minor appearance issues in the cabin cabinets. I consider these things to be items that are fairly common on a brand new unit.

All major parts seem to work great, drives great, hydraulic levelers, generator, AC/heat, WH, slideouts, all in all we are pretty pleased with it.

It's true that folks don't usually think about posting how happy they are with their RV. It's usually only when thing go awry that they post about their problem looking for advice on how to repair or adjust it.  We (the membership) should probably be posting more positive comments about their RV's and experiences. 

Mile High...good to hear you have had good luck with the Wranglers. As I said, we see a lot of them, probably because of the number on the road. We have a little running joke  with the Goodyears...that if you get a "good year" out of them, then you're doing good.

I've had 2 Thor products in the last 2 years. A 2016 Freedom Elite 22FE, and a 2017 Jayco Redhawk 26XD. I've had no problems with either RV. Both were bought as low cost entry level machines. I just completed a 6K mile trip in the Jayco, Indy to Seattle thru Yellowstone, and return thru Colorado. The Jayco performed flawlessly, including climbing I-70 thru the Johnson Tunnel at 55mph+. No complaints from me about Thor quality. I understand that both these machines were low cost options, and you do get what you pay for, but no problems so far. I would buy Thor again.

I think that we are going to see more and more problems with all brands of RVs.  With the huge increase in people buying them, most factories can't pump them out fast enough.  I got my 2016 Fleetwood Bounder in June, 2016, and can't tell you the number of times that I had to take it to the dealer and then taking it to the factory in Decatur, IN three times, ruining three cross country trips. 

I have a Thor product and am generally happy with it

even though I have had some rather major issues and I have sunk a lot of extra money and time in it.  A lot of self repair and upgrade that honestly shouldn't be needed...  Still, we've worked through them, some through warranty....and the MH is serving us well.

We love the floorplan, and I have yet to find a class C floor plan that i like better except for Thor's plan on the F-550 chassis that is nearly identical but with a king bed and a bit bigger.... well there was one other on a freightliner chassis by renegade that looked ok  ;)

Would I buy another Thor?  Well I'm certainly not locked into that as a dedicated customer..... all i can say is maybe.  I'm not convinced that others are really all that much better or worse until you start looking into other higher-end tier stuff....

I have a 2004 Thor Windsport 34W it is only 3 weeks old for me.  The fit and finish is pretty good, I have nothing really to compare to it.  My FW that I lived in for two years was also pretty good.  I don't remember the brand of it.  I had a 26' foot sail boat and it compares favorably to the fit and finish of the sailboat as well.

I have dug into mine somewhat.  I am converting the twin beds into a single full size bed.  Taking it apart I am learning how cheaply made it is.  When I rebuild the two beds into one it will likely be much stronger and better built than the factory methods.

"CX"

How happy someone is with a particular RV in general is a reflection of how well they take care of it. Did they get it inspected by a professional before they bought it? Do they drive on unpaved roads a lot (or California)? RVs need a lot of maintenance and attention. If they get it then generally they will preform real well. Ignore maintenance and you will have issues. For example, you should get on the roof and examine it once a year and patch any problem areas. Every five years it should be resealed. If you don't do that you will have problems with the roof and then you can't blame the manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom