DirecTV issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgkane

We have the Directv Genie DVR with a mini for the rear bedroom. We have an older Winegard Dome Dish and I've hooked it up following the instructions here. http://www.winegard.com/help/images/d/d1/2452242.pdf
On the main unit we get an error 771 Single Loss on Satellite 1 or sometimes 2.
I might think it was bad cabling or something but there are a few oddities.
1. It only reports the error on the main TV or box. The bedroom TV never reports an error.
2. Looking at the signal strength meters all 5 are showing in the 90's %
3. The error never shows up on recorded shows.
4. Error message will come and go. When it is displaying the screen saver will kick in unless you hit something on the remote.

I'm beginning to think that I may have a bad DVR. Any thoughts?
G.

If you have a Genie system you need a SWM setup.  That error can mean a number of things.  Most likely is a bad or loose connection.  Start at the dish and run a brand new coax to the power inserter input and see what happens.

Later this year I'll be camping with a friend who is a cable guy and we'll try the cable replacement. Just curious, I have two cables running from the dish to the SWM. One is a new heavy duty coax (from mentioned friend) the other is what came from Winnebago. If I exchanged the two would I get a different result (assuming only one cable is bad)? Also if the cable is bad would I not see the signal meters dropping out?
Thanks again,
G

I have this happen...
I use my Genie and client from S&B and will frequently have a recording set to a channel not available when traveling. This will cause a 771 loss of signal with everything apparently working ok.
Any chance...?

Something is screwy?  A Genie ayatem only has one coax input, so you cannot instal two coax.  Also you need to have a SWM power supply.  And you need the correct LNB and dish assembly.  I suspect your problems start with a non SWM compatible dome, incorrect LNB, lack of power inserter.  I think you need to back to square one and start over from scratch

donn said:
Something is screwy?  A Genie ayatem only has one coax input, so you cannot instal two coax.  Also you need to have a SWM power supply.  And you need the correct LNB and dish assembly.  I suspect your problems start with a non SWM compatible dome, incorrect LNB, lack of power inserter.  I think you need to back to square one and start over from scratch
If you look at the PDF file from Winegard it shows the two feeds from the dome going to the SMW8. One cable out to the power source then to the splitter with one to the DVR the other to the mini.
Then it's important to tell the Genie unit to ignore HD channels. With the exception of this error message it works well and since are largest TV is a 32" it doesn't seem all that important to upgrade the dish but we really like the Genie which allows us to watch both TV's individually and record shows.

BobNSam said:
I have this happen...
I use my Genie and client from S&B and will frequently have a recording set to a channel not available when traveling. This will cause a 771 loss of signal with everything apparently working ok.
Any chance...?

I thought maybe this was the cause as well. I've gone through the programs set to record several times to insure we're not recording a show on a channel that we don't get whether its an HD channel or a local channel we don't get because we are out of our zone.
I've also been checking to see if when the error pops up to see what is being recorded. Even going into check signal strength to see if I get the warning asking if I want to stop a recording.  I'm pretty convinced this isn't the cause.

I've also notice that while watching say the weather channel I might get the error message but if I switch to say Fox News it won't report the error. Back to weather and the error will pop back up. I'm just picking those two channels as an example it could be any live feed and not really channel specific.
I absolutely hate dealing with Directv tech support but I may have to go that route.
thanks everyone

There is something going on with an update they did. We are getting the same thing. It does not make sense as the video and sound are fine. You used to be able to escape the banner, but you no longer can do that also. I asked their technical support what they changed,  and they said it was my cabling. Baloney. It used to work perfectly.

We evacuated Cape Coral due to the hurricane to Chattanooga. When our power comes back on, we will return. I am going to have the traveler dish installed. I am pretty tired of the wineguard in motion dome.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom