remove anode for water heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albertm1960

I have a 2008 Keystone Montana. Wanted to remove and replace anode. Thought bolt was 15/16. Too small. Any ideas of what the usual size is which would be over an inch. Or are there many different sizes...whenn I measure looks like 1-3/16 or something like that????Thanks

The Suburban water heater I used to have took an 1 1/16" socket. That same socket fit two anodes I had, and a few other's anodes too.

In some cases you might need a special thin walled socket in order to clear the sheet metal around the anode.

On the plus side a socket that big comes in real handy if you have a toolbox drawer you never want to close, need an ashtray, need an ice cream bowl, need a cool looking but leaky double shot glass.  I'm sure there's more.  8)

By the way you need to replace the anode rod when it is half eaten away. They start out about 5/8 of an inch across when new and replacements even at expensive RV dealers are only about $7. They stop protecting the water heater after they get much smaller than 1/4 so why chance it. Cheap insurance and another reason to drain the heater when not being used for awhile.

I recommend buying a standard 1/2" drive socket (thin wall if necessary). I tried using the pot metal removal kit that the RV dealers carry and because of the force required it just spread the cheap socket open and I threw it away.

Back
Top Bottom