Hurricane questions, fact or fiction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
My DW has 2 sisters living in central FL. Someone told them to tape up the windows with a big "X" and to also open the windows just a bit. Will this do any good or is it a wives' tale?

Hopefully, they have windows boarded up, or some sort of window protection, already. If not they probably should go find a shelter.

Taping the windows helps if the window is broken. In theory, The tape will keep the big pieces in the same area. Depends on the kind of glass you have, though. A lot of safety glass is designed to shatter into a lot of pieces without jagged edges, and the tape won't really help much.

cracking a window open on the leeward(opposite the wind) side of the house will help prevent too much pressure in the house if the outside air pressure reduces rapidly, like if the eye comes over the area you are in.

If they do get the eye, tell them NOT to go outside for more than a minute or two, and to close that window that was open and open one on the other side before the winds come back. 

In newer houses, most of that is not really necessary to worry about, but it will get them thinking about stuff rather than just sitting there being scared silly.

Worst case, They should find an inside closet or bathroom that they can take some bedding and some food into and wait it out.

Rene, here is a link from the Tampa Bay times that answers and explains your questions.

Ed

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/hurricane-irma-5-myths-about-hurricane-prep-to-forget/2336675

I may be wrong on this one, but...I think that the window(s) cracked open is more for tornado activity. Something to do with a sudden pressure drop as the tornado approaches, let's the house "breath", so to speak. 

Hfx_Cdn said:
  Rene, here is a link from the Tampa Bay times that answers and explains your questions.

Ed

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/hurricane-irma-5-myths-about-hurricane-prep-to-forget/2336675

Thanks ED, I'll pass that on to them after the storm is gone. They can use the info on the next hurricane. There will be more. One of the sisters is in a new house in Haines City. The house is built to withstand a hurricane hopefully. The other sister lives in Auburndale in a double wide. She left and went up north to be with a daughter.
Hope your house survives.

Memtb said:
    I may be wrong on this one, but...I think that the window(s) cracked open is more for tornado activity. Something to do with a sudden pressure drop as the tornado approaches, let's the house "breath", so to speak. 

Tornados are the biggest danger in a cane. So far todat, there have been at least 10 tornado warnings in Brevard, Indian River and Volusia counties and the worst ain't even here yet.

Back
Top Bottom