Non-modified sign wave inverter OK for computer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

I've read that a pure sign wave inverter isn't necessary for electronics.  Rather it's important when running anything with motors.  If correct, I'm thinking a 600 watt inverter wired directly to the batteries or plugged into a 12 volt receptacle should cover our needs.  For the most part, computing and watching TV.  My computer is a rather spendy IMAC 27 and I don't want to damage it so would appreciate some input with respect to this info. 

FWIW, if I were a younger man looking at 15+ years of RVing, I'd spend the money and buy a real system, solar, batteries and a pure sign wave inverter.  But at 74, I'm thinking I can live with the old fashioned way of charging the house batteries, the Onan 5500 or my Honda 2000i.  If I'm missing the boat and should rethink the issue, please give me your thoughts.  We prefer to boon dock and having some solar is very appealing.  But weight is an issue for us and adding solar and 2 more batteries is problematic.  Traveling light, we're pushing the max GCVWR 26,000 of the motorhome.  We're at 25,600 when towing.  Allison is pretty clear on not exceeding the weight ratings.  Thanks for your thoughts. 

Gary, we've had only modified sine wave inverters on boats and RVs for 25 years or so. TVs, computers, microwaves, fridges, coffee pots, kettles, phone/camera chargers, sound docks, and (our) other electronics have worked just fine. We don't use electric blankets, but I've read repeatedly that their controls can get fried on a modified sine wave source.

Laser printers don't like modified sine wave.  Everything else should be OK.  Worst case you might get a slight buzz in the sound system or some interference bars through the monitor or TV picture if the sharp corners of the modified waveform make it through the power supply.

Lou, thanks for the response.  Pretty sure we can live with the buzzing.  I'll defer to Maria who tells me what's being said as I frequently miss some or the dialogue. 

Gary, you've been in our motorhome and it's modified sine wave.  No pure sine wave in our Monaco.  We run both computers, printer, TVs and such just fine.  I can attest to the electric blanket being problematic.  We had a couple that failed until we put the proverbial 2 + 2 together and discovered we needed pure sine wave for them.  We replaced those with a mattress warmer that works just fine on our modified sine wave.

ArdraF

I have run laptops on MSW and PSW. and of course "Shore" (Mains) power.

On MSW some of the power bricks get a tad warm but not dangerously so. At least not the ones I had. THey did get "Uncomfortable" however .  That is the only thing I'd worry about  How hot the brick gets.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom