Whistling furnace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chevyman54173

I have a 2014 Cherokee Grey Wolf travel trailer. When the furnace would ignite it would whistle for bout 10-15 seconds and then go away. Since it was new I just kept running the furnace thinking the noise would go away. And it did. However, this past weekend the noise is back. After ignition it whistles for bout 10-15 seconds. Any ideas why this does this and how to fix?

Which tunes does it know?  Dixie?
Seriously though, where is the sound coming From? Do you hear it at an output vent or at the return?

Good question. I did not try to figure out which end it was coming from. When I get a chance I will check it out.

Sounds like the blower motor bearings are failing.  Mine did the same, replaced the blower motor this spring and it's very quiet now.  Not that hard of a job.

Ours did this last winter and over time it got louder and longer, not fun at 2am! Haha. It was in fact the bearings in the blowing motor, replaced and fixed.

Was gonna check on the noise and of couse it doesn't do it now. Hard to believe it would be the bearings in the blower motor since it did the noise when it was brand new. And then not do it for 4 years. When it does do it the noise only lasts for bout 15 seconds then goes away. And it only did it right after the furnace ignites.

That's not unusual for a blower motor.  The bearings loosen a bit permitting some sag at low fan speeds. As the fan speeds up, the fan will tend to stay in plane centered on the shaft and quiet.

Ernie

When we had the issue I read many times that people got a bad "new" one. It doesn't necessarily mean the motor is bad but the bearings, no telling how long it sat in the factory or store before being sold. I was told you can lube the bearings but it's a chore and far easier to just replace it. Maybe you could look into to that.

I agree with the Old Age from the shelf.  They have a date stamp on them, the one I replaced in April was a 2014, did I mention Made in China!

The "bearings"are actually oilite bronze bushings and when worn or out of alignment will osculate at a high frequency.>>>Dan

What furnace brand and model.  I had the same thing happen a couple rvs ago.  I took the motor out and found out the shaft was completely dry.  Lubed it, put it back together and it ran as quiet as it was supposed to. 

Back
Top Bottom