2017 chevrolet colorado first trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbentley

New to the forum, I have a 2017 Chevrolet Colorado 3.6 with a tow rating of 7000 lbs. I am interested in buying a TT and I am looking for people with Colorados that are towing. I have not towed a TT before. Need advise on trailer size.  Thanks in advance

The longer the trailer is in relation to the tow vehicle the more the trailer will wag the tow vehicle.  So a shorter trailer, something in the 22-24' range is much better than a 28-30 foot trailer.

The 7000 pound max tow weight is also based on the GCWR (combined weight of the truck & trailer).  That means when you load the passengers and gear in the truck it may reduce the max weight of the trailer you can pull.

There is also the max amount of rear axle weight, so you must consider the tongue weight of the trailer.  The tongue weight should be about 12% (but not less than 10%) of the loaded trailer weight.  With a 7000 pound trailer, that would be about 840 pounds, probably more than the axle will handle.  Also don't forget to add the weight of the equalizing hitch you put on the back of the truck to hook the trailer to.  Passengers and gear also add weight to the rear axle. 

A note about tongue weight, if the weight is too little, say 8%-9% of the trailer weight you are in danger of a passing vehicle causing the trailer to start to sway.  Also road and wind conditions can cause the trailer to start to sway.  If the sway is not, almost immediately, controlled, it will go out of control and result in a serious and sometimes deadly accident. 

Back
Top Bottom