Another Newbie Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depending on whether your RV is equipped with an inverter, and the capacity of your battery bank, you would use your inverter for most 110VAC appliances excluding your air conditioning.  Alternatively you would use your generator for most 110VAC tasks and save the batteries via inverter for late night TV and perhaps a quick microwave operation.

Steve, I don't think it has an inverter.  It's a '83 Skamper.  I would only use it for a coffee maker, toaster, curling iron and possibly a small desk top fan.  What kind of drain would it put on the battery?  Thank for the info.

Without an inverter, the only way you can use 110VAC appliances is by running the generator.  The appliances you mention, other than the fan, are all fairly high power consumers and without a sufficiently large battery bank and an inverter, you will have to use the generator.

All heating appliances are large consumers of electricity - usually on the order of 1000-1200 watts.  That would require 85-100 amps per hour of use from the batteries and one 12v battery contains only about 85 amp-hours when brand new and less after it ages. All academic if you do not have a converter. Does the Skamper have a generator?

Thanks for the info.  I thought that's the way it worked.  We have a portable gen. but didn't want to use it.  Oh well.  Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom