EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: 7 pin electrical connector cord problem  (Read 236 times)

rollonjack

• ---
7 pin electrical connector cord problem
« on: September 11, 2017, 02:28:16 PM »
Recently I disconnected the fifth wheel from the truck without unplugging the electrical connector cord. So when I pulled the truck forward the electrical connector cord was forced to come out of its socket. This bent some pins in the truck side socket which I straightened out. However, I feel I may have a problem with the wiring on the plug on the fifth wheel side. Sometimes my trailer brake controller shows the trailer brakes are connected and other times it shows the trailer brakes not connected. My feeling is I will need to check the wiring on the plug on the trailer side of the electrical connector cord or replace the cord entirely. Any thoughts or experiences with a situation like this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
Re: 7 pin electrical connector cord problem
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 04:49:53 PM »
When you "yanked" the cord out, you may have damaged the connections within the plug.  Can you open the plug and retighten and inspect all wires?  It sounds like the brake wire is barely connected.
Preacher Gordon
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS - not yet received
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 05:18:26 PM »
Curt makes a replacement plug thats plug and play for the truck and thats where the male ends are the female ends attatched to the trailer are probably fine

http://www.curtmfg.com/Category/347/Extension%20Harnesses

or call Curt they are great

2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5200lbs cargo/weight capacity named Kong

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh?

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 05:34:10 PM »
I would replace the entire cord and plug as a assembly. So much easier. Just connect the wires to the RV wires in the junction box.  Do it this way in case you have any damaged wires on your old cable internally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8FT-Foot-7-Way-Trailer-Cord-Wire-Harness-Light-Plug-Connector-Molded-RV-Cable-/172815695677
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

rollonjack

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 07:06:53 PM »
Thank you for your input. I opened up the trailer side plug, made sure the brake wire was set properly and tighten the screw well. Put it back together and everything works: brakes, turn signals, brake lights and tail lights. Found a tail light bulb burned out and replaced it. This is quite a relief and I have learned a lot from this issue. Thanks again. take care.

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 07:38:31 PM »
Thanks for the update!
Preacher Gordon
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS - not yet received
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Mickey G

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 05:57:40 PM »
You may want to replace it with EZ CONNECTOR. It is magnetically connected, and you cant ruin the plug if you forget to disconnect it. I have one, and like they say" THIS IS THE LAST PLUG I WILL EVER HAVE TO BUY"
Check them out on EZ Connecter.

Hosted by Over The Network