7 pin electrical connector cord problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rollonjack

Recently I disconnected the fifth wheel from the truck without unplugging the electrical connector cord. So when I pulled the truck forward the electrical connector cord was forced to come out of its socket. This bent some pins in the truck side socket which I straightened out. However, I feel I may have a problem with the wiring on the plug on the fifth wheel side. Sometimes my trailer brake controller shows the trailer brakes are connected and other times it shows the trailer brakes not connected. My feeling is I will need to check the wiring on the plug on the trailer side of the electrical connector cord or replace the cord entirely. Any thoughts or experiences with a situation like this is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

When you "yanked" the cord out, you may have damaged the connections within the plug.  Can you open the plug and retighten and inspect all wires?  It sounds like the brake wire is barely connected.

Curt makes a replacement plug thats plug and play for the truck and thats where the male ends are the female ends attatched to the trailer are probably fine

http://www.curtmfg.com/Category/347/Extension%20Harnesses

or call Curt they are great

I would replace the entire cord and plug as a assembly. So much easier. Just connect the wires to the RV wires in the junction box.  Do it this way in case you have any damaged wires on your old cable internally.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8FT-Foot-7-Way-Trailer-Cord-Wire-Harness-Light-Plug-Connector-Molded-RV-Cable-/172815695677

Thank you for your input. I opened up the trailer side plug, made sure the brake wire was set properly and tighten the screw well. Put it back together and everything works: brakes, turn signals, brake lights and tail lights. Found a tail light bulb burned out and replaced it. This is quite a relief and I have learned a lot from this issue. Thanks again. take care.

You may want to replace it with EZ CONNECTOR. It is magnetically connected, and you cant ruin the plug if you forget to disconnect it. I have one, and like they say" THIS IS THE LAST PLUG I WILL EVER HAVE TO BUY"
Check them out on EZ Connecter.

Back
Top Bottom