Ready to buy 2002 Beaver Marquis Jasper with 25000 miles...opinion please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travelingman35

Ready to buy 2002 Beaver Marquis Jasper with 25000 miles...opinion please.  Should I be concerned about low mileage?

Not really but I would try to find out why the low mileage.  I bought my 2002 coach with about 42,000 miles but the original owner pretty much explained his travels and that about explained the mileage.  In my almost 4 years with the coach I have only put 8,000 miles on it but a lot of my travel is local with a long trip about once a year.  So see if you can get more info.  But I doubt it will be anything bad.

Bill

A Beaver is a rather high end coach, so it'll fetch some more than many of the more mid-range or lower coaches. That being said, the difference at that age is of nowhere near the magnitude it was when new. But if it's in good shape, it can give you many years of good service with, for the age, more than average amenities.

25,000 is rather few miles, so there could be some problems unless it was stored well. But a good inspection (especially if there are also service records) can tell you a lot.

Thanks...interior is near perfect.  Wasn't garaged, but covered so exterior is not as bright as a newer one.  Amenities are basically everything.  Only drawback is 2 slides.  Has all options and I can get 5 yr. warranty.

Why are 2 slides a drawback? Too many slides or too few?
The cabinetry in a Beaver is top notch stuff. Everyone I have looked at has always been impressive.

The reason that experts caution about low mileage is to avoid buyer euphoria over it.  Too many buyers get lulled into thinking that everything must be perfect simply because the miles are so low, but age of equal importance from several perspectives.

Low mileage makes verification of the maintenance status even more important. Owners of low mileage RVs may have deferred basic maintenance because in many people minds the need for it is tied to miles driven. For example, a coach with only 25k miles could conceivably still have the original tires that look great (maybe 50% tread wear), but if it's a 2002, those tires are 15 years old.  It could also be on its second oil change in its entire life, even though the engine people say it should be changed annually regardless.

It's a Beaver. I am so jealous. They are the best MH made IMHO. I would not let the mileage bother me. Get it inspected by a good RV inspector and go for it. I am so jealous. ;D

Gary makes an excellent point about the tires and oil change.  Be sure to check those out as new tires can set you back a few thousand.

Great point re Tires and oil change.  I will ask for new tires.  They say all services and filters have been changed recently by selling dealer.
The only negative of 2 slides is that if I had more $$ I could have 4....
Thank you so much....you guys (and gals) made me feel a little more comfortable buying it.

travelingman35 said:
The only negative of 2 slides is that if I had more $$ I could have 4....
Thank you so much....you guys (and gals) made me feel a little more comfortable buying it.

Just my opinion but you can have too many slides. This is an older coach so the slides are probably pretty basic in operation.  Lately they have evidently gotten pretty fancy with their systems of operation judging from the number of complaints seen on these boards.  I have had only one failure on my HWH system, a synchronizing cylinder (or something like that) but since I had to pay to have it replaced the cost was not cheap especially when the repair agency threw away the old cylinder that could have been returned for  overhaul.  Everytime I press a slide button - be it in or out - I say a little prayer.  So far I can say that prayer works.............lol

Bill

Back
Top Bottom