Help me with a dehumidifier please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kheren

I'm on Amazon searching a dehumidifier for this winter and there's soooo many choices and price ranges. I've searched here too for recommendations and there's many posts that are overwhelming to me. Haha. Any advice? Super cold winters here, we actually get ice sometimes on the windows with the moisture being so bad. It's a 27' tt if that helps. Thank you!!

You are correct to want a dehumidifier.  Sometimes, cracking a window or fan can help, especially to remove shower and cooking moisture.

Find a place for the dehumidifier where it can be drained directly, and not need routine emptying of the tank.  Make sure the unit you buy supports this (Most do).

I will let others speak to the size.

Also interested and looking.  I have seen some positive reviews on Eva Dry, but have not personally had experience with them.

grashley said:
You are correct to want a dehumidifier.  Sometimes, cracking a window or fan can help, especially to remove shower and cooking moisture.

Find a place for the dehumidifier where it can be drained directly, and not need routine emptying of the tank.  Make sure the unit you buy supports this (Most do).

I will let others speak to the size.

Thank you, yes I'm curious of what size too.

Gizmo said:
Also interested and looking.  I have seen some positive reviews on Eva Dry, but have not personally had experience with them.

I'll research that too. There's so many out there!

We are using this 30-pint Frigidaire dehumidifier in our MH https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UWP07NI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1  It has more than enough capacity for our 40' coach.  I don't have it plumbed for automatic draining, but I don't mind dumping the tank once a day. 

As for the use of chemical absorbents instead of a compressor-driven unit,take a look at how much water the absorption system can remove from the air before it has to be regenerated.  You'll discover that it is only a small fraction of what a refrigeration-based dehumidifier can remove from the air every day.

Docj, thank you for the recommendation, I'll look into that! See I don't even know the difference between the two processes you described. Haha

The absorption method is really only good for VERY small areas.  Those little drying packets in a pill bottle is an example.  Bigger packets are available, but let me put it this way.  A 30 pint dehumidifier that removes 30 pints of water over 24 hours removed about 30 pounds of water.  An equivalent absorption system would have to gain 30 pounds of weight per day.

I'm not sure there is a huge difference between brands.  I bought one at HD several years ago for my house basement.  It runs 24/7 and has never missed a beat.  It sits over a floor drain.

I was trying to upload a picture but I guess I don't know how. I get confused on the navigation here. Anyway I found a dehumidifier by Powilling (?) on Amazon for $119 for 400 sq feet, collects up to 45oz per day, must drain tank but that is fine I have no other way of doing it anyway, auto shut off when full. LED display and you can change humidity levels. Thoughts? 60 money back guarantee.

45 oz is a very small amount of water - 3 pints.  I suspect it is a 45 pint per day rated unit.  Sounds good!  Should work well for you.

To set up auto draining, set it in the shower and let 'er rip or attach a short hose to the shower.  Sit on kitchen counter with hose to sink.

We used the same as "docj" it has worked well for us. I also used Damprid in some areas.

RVRAC said:
We used the same as "docj" it has worked well for us. I also used Damprid in some areas.
Thank you, I was second guessing myself on the ounces, double checked and it DOES say ounces not pints. Hmmm.
RVRAC said:
I believe this is what I'll get! Thank you all, and thanks docj for the link!!!

Now.... anyone have a good remedy of removing last years mold from the bathroom corners?? Haha. NOTHING gets the stains off.
grashley said:
45 oz is a very small amount of water - 3 pints.  I suspect it is a 45 pint per day rated unit.  Sounds good!  Should work well for you.

To set up auto draining, set it in the shower and let 'er rip or attach a short hose to the shower.  Sit on kitchen counter with hose to sink.

Great idea!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom