How to repair nail hole in fiberglass siding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graycat

In fact there are two nail holes about a foot apart.  What is the best, make that cheapest and acceptable way to repair this?

Bondo auto body repair putty.  It is actually fiberglass based.  Fill the hole and let it cure.  Use the black sandpaper which can be used with water and wet sand it down with increasingly fine sand paper starting with 150-200 grit ending with 600 grit.  If the fiberglass is the standard white fiberglass side on the RV, it may match the Rustoleum pure white high gloss paint from the hardware store.  After you spray paint the patch take the 600 grit sandpaper and smooth out the overspray and then wax with auto wax. Use painters tape to protect what you don't want the paint to get on, but don't put the tape on the fiberglass.  Putting the tape on the fiberglass side will just make a small ridge of paint that builds up next to the tape which is hard to smooth out.    I have made repairs this way on 2 different RV's.  It is not as perfect as if you take it to a professional, but you have to look very close and know where the repair is made to see it.

Graycat said:
In fact there are two nail holes about a foot apart.  What is the best, make that cheapest and acceptable way to repair this?

After filling the holes, put a decal over them.  ;D

MarineTex.  I used this to repair a couple of small holes in my boat.  When it sets, and cures, it's harder than the original fiberglass.  Very good stuff.

I like 30 min. epoxy and microballoons. it sets up quickly, is really light, and sands easily.
Mix the glue then add microballoons till it's like a thick cake icing.

Yeah, small stickers with the manufacturers logo work well for yard rash. And they are usually waterproof too so no need to paint the filler. Just about any exterior spackle or Bondo will work to fill the hole.

edjunior said:
MarineTex.  I used this to repair a couple of small holes in my boat.  When it sets, and cures, it's harder than the original fiberglass.  Very good stuff.

I second the MarineTex. I used it a few times on my coachs. I just used some to repair a chip on one of my basement doors.

For a nail or screw hole that is "neat" not "Starred" I'd use GOOP. a general adheasive sealant.

Won't match the finish but for a small hole might not be noticeable.

Graycat said:
Graycat
2 aluminum pop-rivets, (1 in each nail hole), will do the job.

Ah yes, Marine Tex.  Had forgotten about that.  It will do the job.  Used it on boats several times.  Thanks for the reminder!

Rene T said:
After filling the holes, put a decal over them.  ;D

I had a bad paint job on my driver's side door.  Matching the pain will be difficult, so I have thought about have a wrap made just for this door, kind of like your decal idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom