Maytag Residential Refrigerator Lock? Newmars have one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

Moderator Emeritus
In our 2012 Thor Tuscany 42RQ, we have a Maytag residential refrigerator, side by side, with a bottom drawer freezer, Maytag model MFI2067AES9 (see picture).

I have just learned that possibly Newmar folks (and likely others) have their units secured by a plastic slide where the door corners meet the freezer door, possibly a Maytag part.

Not having any luck with finding one, but was hoping someone with a similar model had a mechanism or knew of one that might work. Everything we have tried to date has been quite the pain.

Kim

Attachments

• IMG_2291_540.jpg
    IMG_2291_540.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 42
I use a lock like this one. As long as you make shure it id locked it works great. :eek:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Safety-1st-Multi-Purpose-Appliance-Locks-2-ct/20684300
Bill

Our Maytag has the 10# cabinet locks on the inside interior top of each refer door. The rigid part of the latch is mounted to a wood trim piece that secures the top of the refer.  No issues, doors don't open accidentally. 

On boats we used to make a teak block with bulges on each end and a felt backing that we put through both handles of the refrigerator to hold it shut.  We didn't have any refrigerators like you have with the bottom freezer.  On our Sub Zero drawer units we used Accon aviation quarter turn latches to secure the drawers.

Yes Kim, the one I am reffering to are the RV latches, and look like this:  www.amazon.com/Grabber-Catches-Cabinet-Close-Latch/dp/B072L6JYVB/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1505318320&sr=8-32&keywords=cabinet+latches

I also saw a post I can't find at the moment where a guy having the same issue as you designed a pretty clever door brace. He cut it out of a piece of plywood in the shape of a "T".  He put felt on the back to make it non marring, and he slipped it in the handles of his refer.  The short arms of the T rested in the upper handles, and the long single extension part  of the T was long enough to slide in the freezer handle.  Even of the doors did come ajar a bit while driving, the T bar prevented the doors from opening, and the lower part of the T kept the freezer from sliding out.  I thought I would do the same if it ever became an issue for me. 

I can post a pic of the refer top latches if you need them.

Those are what were installed from Thor. They were secured by two sided tape and did not survive well. If they had a bigger screw plate, and were secured, they might have worked better.

I considered the T-idea but getting leverage on the heavy freezer door is difficult because everything is rounded, doors, handles, etc. Cargo straps and D-rings in decorator colors are looking promising, too.  8)

The Solution - it's out there...

On our old Thor with Maytag refrig.  I used a velcro strip that was hook on one side and loop on the other.  It would go around the frig handles and loop through the freezer handle.  Worked for a long time.  I too always looked at other locks and never found one that really fit the bill.  The grabber locks that Thor installed really didn't work either.

Found a PDF Newmar refrigator door latch recall.  It has P/N and pictures.  Replacement P/N not specified.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://comnet2.newmarcorp.com/instance1Env99NEWMAR/html/images/BLTN441T.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiwxpf34KLWAhUKy2MKHRO7DvgQFggzMAI&usg=AFQjCNGxR_qh7dTzVDpDg2Bnz67rcVBNTw

Jennifer

Thank you for your kind words.  Sure hope you can get one and it works.

Jennifer

We've never had the fridge doors on our Maytag res fridge open inadvertently, but our lower freezer door used to slide open all the time, especially if it had anything in it. My solution was to install a kids cabinet door safety latch, and a little "catch" for it to latch to. It's out of sight when the doors are closed, and all you have to do is push on the latch with your finger to lift it, as you pull on the freezer door handle to open it. Works great and was cheap.

Kev

Attachments

• IMG_4193.JPG
    IMG_4193.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4192.JPG
    IMG_4192.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 24
I got them at Home Depot, but they're sold in a lot of different places. They're just kid safety latches for securing cabinets around the house. They came in a batch of 10, and they're cheap.

Kev

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom