EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Tire pressure monitor  (Read 1054 times)

schoolsout2

• ---
Tire pressure monitor
« on: September 12, 2017, 07:09:15 AM »
Many members ask if the TPMS systems are worth it.  I just thought I would let you know our recent experience.  I have had a TPMS system for about 4 years and was starting to get lazy with it.  Mainly forgetting to turn it on.  We left the campground with it onand all tires checked and ok.  After about an hour, the monitor sounded a low pressure alert on the outside rear dual.  I pulled off the road and checked it, and yes it was low.  We limped into a nearby truck stop and located a tire shop.  I added air and traveled a short distance to the shop.  They found a 2 1/2 inch 5/16 bolt in the tire.

Had I not been using the monitor, I believe I would have had extensive damage to the MH.  It is not important what kind I have,but without it an inconvenience could have been a major event.
Dave and Sue Fullerman
2014 Winnebago Tour
2012 Honda CRV
FMCA F7777D
from Ohio now full time

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Tire pressure monitor
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 07:12:20 AM »
Thanks for the story Dave. Another great example of a TPMS system preventing a potentially serious issue.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:16:03 AM »
Absolutely Dave, that is exactly what they are best at.  Some will argue that they will not detect an issue if a tire has a catastrophic failure, and that is true. But most tire failures start with a slow leak that causes the the eventual failure.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 07:18:16 AM »
Great story, Dave! I'm glad it "saved your bacon". Forgetting to turn our TPMS on is what prompted me to finally hardwire it to an ignition switch controlled source. Now it turns on and off with the engine without the monitor switch being on, or I can over ride and turn it on/off with the switch when the ignition is off.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 08:00:56 AM »
Mainly forgetting to turn it on.

Solution: don't turn it off.  Except for long term storage, there seems little need to be shutting it off and you given good reason for making sure it is on and monitoring. Power draw on most TPMS is tiny and not a significant factor evem if the RV is not plugged top shore power. And if it is on shore power, there is even less reason to turn it off.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 09:35:45 AM »
I stopped to get gas yesterday and there was a tire shop on the property. I don't know if it was affiliated with the gas station. As I'm washing my window someone from the tire store drives by in a golf cart and tells me my right front tire looks low. I said thanks, but my tire is not low. He said it looks low and I would put more air in it so you don't run on a low tire. I said I have a tpms and I know exactly what the pressures are in all of my tires. He drove away.  :)
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 09:42:16 AM »
I am so glad that most folks have good luck with their TPMS.  MY Tire Tech On is a POS and has failed me in more than one instance.  So this summer I decided to completely redo it by removing all sensors, replacing batteries and then reading the book several times to try and understand some of the gibberish they call instructions. I succeeded in getting the sensors installed and getting the pressures I wanted (took a while with a little home AC but for the tires to be cold that was required).  Friday we went on a short  trip to a local campground and, as usual, upon arriving I got a high pressure alarm on the left front tire.  Set up for the night and this morning I turned the monitor on and all tires read the same pressures they had when I arrived - the heated pressures.  So I went out and took off the front tire sensors and checked with an air gauge - exact cold pressure I wanted but the monitor had read 10-12 lbs higher before I removed the sensors.  When I reinstalled the sensors the monitor read the correct pressures.  This TPMS system has failed me at least four or five times.  The real killer was when I drove out of storage on two flat left rear tires - poor install of new tires by a dealer who had left the valve stems loose.  Ruined both tired but the sensors showed everything normal.  Now I carry a short baseball bat and give every tire a good rap before I move the coach.  I have no faith left in this TPMS.  Will be looking for a better system this winter.  I had read where the Tire Tech On system is one of four identical systems marketed under different names so others may have the same problems.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 6 months

lavarock1210

• ---
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 10:13:27 AM »
I check my TPMS pressures early each morning before the sun gets to them before every trip.

I also check the pressures while under way frequently.  A few years ago I noticed a tire on the trailer was going down about 1 psi each time I checked when the other three were not.

I stopped at the next fuel station and this is what I found.

https://i.imgur.com/dlRQd5y.jpg

A 3/8 by 2 inch bolt. 

I am sure the TPMS saved me from having a tire failure and damage to the slide on that side of the trailer.

Just last week when I did my early morning tire pressure check with the TPMS I had a tire on the trailer that was below the other three.  I jacked up the trailer to install the spare.

This is what I found in that tire.

https://i.imgur.com/bWOVLSZ.jpg

Again the TPMS probably saved a tire failure.

Note in both cases due to checking tire pressures frequently I found a problem even before the pressures were low enough to set off the low pressure alarms on the TPMS.

In the last case I was able to correct the problem before I broke camp.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 11:15:28 AM by lavarock1210 »

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 10:55:02 AM »
 This TPMS system has failed me at least four or five times.  The real killer was when I drove out of storage on two flat left rear tires - poor install of new tires by a dealer who had left the valve stems loose.  Ruined both tired but the sensors showed everything normal.  Now I carry a short baseball bat and give every tire a good rap before I move the coach.  I have no faith left in this TPMS.  Will be looking for a better system this winter.  I had read where the Tire Tech On system is one of four identical systems marketed under different names so others may have the same problems.

My TST 507 system has never behaved in such a fashion. It's always behaved as expected, and once in a great while it shows a slightly low tire, but temp and pressure reading change with conditions, as expected.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

lavarock1210

• ---
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 11:12:36 AM »
Testing attaching images.

2kGeorgieBoy

• ---
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 02:08:03 PM »
I deleted, I hope, my original comment. I totally misunderstood Bill N's post.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:20:25 PM by 2kGeorgieBoy »
2000 Georgie Boy Maverick
31' E450 V10  No slides
our toys:
'08 Polaris Touring LE ATV (mine)
'12 Polaris 550 XP ATV (wife's)
1968 AH Sprite (original owners, not on road at this time)
Gary, Jena, and Presley (our awesome yellow Lab).
Westcliffe, CO.

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 02:40:21 PM »
2kgeorgie,
I think the AC Bill was speaking about is an air compressor. At least I hope that's what he meant.
Gotta love being lazy and using acronyms. It is a real challenge reading.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y (pre DEF)
2007 Saturn Vue

2kGeorgieBoy

• ---
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 03:33:56 PM »
ChasA....You know, I believe you're right. Bill N..please disregard my other post. I just always think of a capital A/C as air conditioner not an air compressor. Sorry.... ;D
2000 Georgie Boy Maverick
31' E450 V10  No slides
our toys:
'08 Polaris Touring LE ATV (mine)
'12 Polaris 550 XP ATV (wife's)
1968 AH Sprite (original owners, not on road at this time)
Gary, Jena, and Presley (our awesome yellow Lab).
Westcliffe, CO.

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 04:09:55 PM »
I just had to order new sensors for my Pressure Pro...$238.00 for six sensors.
John & Susan
2014 Winnebago Aspect 30J
2005 Jeep Wrangler X, Toad, a little modified
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 04:24:12 PM »
I consider it a solid minus that some of the TPMS sensors shut down after a short time with no movement to conserve the batteries. The next time you turn the monitor on, it still displays the last reading from the sensors instead of the current reading. You won't see a current reading until you've been underway for several minutes when it may be too late to save a failing tire. On the other hand, sensors like those on our TST 507 system and others transmit continuously every 5 minutes or so unless they're removed. And they transmit instantly if there's a rapid or significant change in the readings. Just turning the monitor on 10 minutes before heading out will give you current readings, or any other time it's turned on.
Dutch

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 04:25:32 PM »
I consider it a solid minus that some of the TPMS sensors shut down after a short time with no movement to conserve the batteries. The next time you turn the monitor on, it still displays the last reading from the sensors instead of the current reading. You won't see a current reading until you've been underway for several minutes when it may be too late to save a failing tire. On the other hand, sensors like those on our TST 507 system and others transmit continuously every 5 minutes or so unless they're removed. And they transmit instantly if there's a rapid or significant change in the readings. Just turning the monitor on 10 minutes before heading out will give you current readings, or any other time it's turned on.

My Pressure Pro works in much the same manner.
John & Susan
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 04:35:22 PM »
My Pressure Pro works in much the same manner.

Yep, there's a couple of others besides the TST's and PP's, but I don't recall which ones they are. The bad ones usually push the "standby" function as a feature, but it's a deal killer for me...
Dutch

schoolsout2

• ---
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 07:29:19 PM »
I am not trying to sell them or say it is the best.  I use the tire minder from MinderResearch.  I get instant readings.  They recommend taking the sensors off when your are idle for a few months.  This includes removing the batteries.  It retained the settings on the monitor, but you need to wipe out and reconfigure the sensors, or store them so you get them back on the same wheels.
Dave and Sue Fullerman
2014 Winnebago Tour
2012 Honda CRV
FMCA F7777D
from Ohio now full time

John Beard

• ---
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 07:41:26 PM »
I am not trying to sell them or say it is the best.  I use the tire minder from MinderResearch.  I get instant readings.  They recommend taking the sensors off when your are idle for a few months.  This includes removing the batteries.  It retained the settings on the monitor, but you need to wipe out and reconfigure the sensors, or store them so you get them back on the same wheels.

Pressure Pro works like that too, once the sensors are removed (batteries remain in place) they no longer transmit prolonging battery life significantly, I would think. But you either reprogram the lot or store them labeled with their location and put them on the same tire they come off of.
John & Susan
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 09:03:52 AM »

Thanks Dutch.  I think you may have explained why I am getting the same hot readings when I turn the unit on in the morning.  I normally turn off the TPMS when I set up on a site.  So maybe I need to either not turn it off or give it more time in the morning.  As to the flat left rears.  I think the dealer just reinstalled the sensors willy nilly and the readings were never reset despite the fact that he told me he did.  Thanks again.
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Grace-10 & Squeak-4, Winnie - 6 months

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 06:04:55 PM »
You're welcome, Bill. I marked my sensors by position with an awl to make re-installation easy.
Dutch

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 06:09:17 PM »
I used a compartmentalized fishing box for our prior set of sensors. Eventually gave them and the display to my son. I'm about to do the tackle box thing with our newer set.

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 06:27:21 PM »
I used to do something similar, Tom, but now they only get removed to replace the batteries once a year. I just use a plastic bag to collect them for the 30 minutes or so they're off.
Dutch

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 06:27:50 PM »
You're welcome, Bill. I marked my sensors by position with an awl to make re-installation easy.

My TST sensors came with small stick-on labels with numbers you could use to match the sensor number with the corresponding tire in the monitor display. They've lasted through at least 5 years (don't recall exactly when I got them).
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 06:32:48 PM »
I seem to recall my previous TST 510 set came with stickers, Larry, but I don't think the 507 did. Unless I used them on the security covers before I permanently removed them.
Dutch

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2017, 06:37:46 PM »
Quote from: NY_Dutch
I just use a plastic bag to collect them for the 30 minutes or so they're off.

I'm currently using plastic (sandwich) bags to store them (the bags are labeled with a felt pen), but they're a PITA (blow away too easily). That's why I'm switching back to a tackle box.

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2017, 07:03:35 PM »
I'm currently using plastic (sandwich) bags to store them (the bags are labeled with a felt pen), but they're a PITA (blow away too easily). That's why I'm switching back to a tackle box.

Yep, that makes sense for longer term storage, Tom.
Dutch

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2017, 07:04:41 PM »
I know  ;D

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2017, 08:22:46 AM »
Often an egg cartoon is just right for storing sensors.

I used my P-Touch label maker to put a label on each sensor, coach & car.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

wstuart

• ---
  • Planning is half the fun
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 02:40:07 AM »
I have one tire that will not be friends with the TPMS.  Goes flat when I put it on.  I know it is the valves fault because if I switch the TPMS around the same tire goes flat.  If I ever have a problem with that inner dual, I will change out that valve stem   Anyone else had a similar problem?
Maryann & Wayne
Nanaimo BC
Challenger 37 GT
Honda CRV toad Blue Ox tow bar

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2017, 06:35:32 AM »
I had a valve stem on a previous toad that gave me a similar sealing problem. I could feel with my finger that the end of the stem was a little deformed, and a few minutes work with a small file and some fine emery cloth fixed it.
Dutch

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2017, 07:31:38 AM »
Or it could be the little rubber seal inside the TPMS that is leaking. Sometimes if they are screwed on too tight the seal will deform causing a leak.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

timjet

• ---
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2017, 07:43:33 AM »
Reading this there may be some confusion with how the pressure pro system works. The pressure pro sensors "update" approximately every 5 minutes. However if pressure in a tire with a sensor installed drops below 12.5% of the baseline pressure an alert is immediately sent. Baseline pressure is the pressure within the tire when the tire sensor was installed.

Having some experience with the pressure pro system has taught me one lesson. I installed all the sensors on my towed and coach several months ago at my home in FL with outside air temps in the upper 80's. I made sure the tire pressures were exactly where I wanted them to be so the unit would record the correct baseline pressure for each tire. Our first night in Michigan in late July at 3am in the morning the pressure pro alarm sounded. Further investigation revealed one of the towed tires had dropped just below the 12.5% threshold initiating the alarm in the early morning 55 deg outside air temp.
Tim
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition DP 40', 1.5 bath
'14 Honda CRV

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2017, 11:03:31 AM »
I had a valve stem on a previous toad that gave me a similar sealing problem. I could feel with my finger that the end of the stem was a little deformed, and a few minutes work with a small file and some fine emery cloth fixed it.

I did essentially the same for one valve stem that always had leak problems with the TPMS. A few minutes with a fine file was all it took to make the contact surface smooth and "square" so that the seal in the TPMS sensor made good contact.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Steve N Dee

• ---
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2017, 12:37:29 PM »
I had a leaky sensor this spring at Yosemite rally.  I just discarded the sensor and ordered a new one.  As always, should have checked here first!
Steve & Dee - Racing towards retirement
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
2005 Winnebago Journey 34H Diesel Pusher
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD Toad
Burbank, CA

On time.....is when we get there

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2017, 07:02:34 PM »
Reading this there may be some confusion with how the pressure pro system works. The pressure pro sensors "update" approximately every 5 minutes. However if pressure in a tire with a sensor installed drops below 12.5% of the baseline pressure an alert is immediately sent. Baseline pressure is the pressure within the tire when the tire sensor was installed.

Having some experience with the pressure pro system has taught me one lesson. I installed all the sensors on my towed and coach several months ago at my home in FL with outside air temps in the upper 80's. I made sure the tire pressures were exactly where I wanted them to be so the unit would record the correct baseline pressure for each tire. Our first night in Michigan in late July at 3am in the morning the pressure pro alarm sounded. Further investigation revealed one of the towed tires had dropped just below the 12.5% threshold initiating the alarm in the early morning 55 deg outside air temp.

That's one reason I prefer the TST's user setable trigger points over arbitrary presets. The temperature related pressure changes can be quite different for different size tires. At 12.5%, 35 PSI toad tire need only drop a bit over 4 lbs to trip the alarm, while a 90 PSI coach tire would need to drop a little over 11 lbs.
Dutch

wstuart

• ---
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2017, 07:28:04 PM »
I will check to see how the stem feels. I know it is the valve or stem because when  I switch the sensors around I only have a problem with that one tire. When I contacted the manufacture they told me the sensor hardly ever leaks and to try tighten the valve.  When I still had problems, they sent me a new one.  I will now purchase another set for my toad.  Great customer service.
Maryann & Wayne
Nanaimo BC
Challenger 37 GT

schoolsout2

• ---
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
Estuary:  if it is an inner dual, it might just be a valve extension problem.
Dave and Sue Fullerman
2014 Winnebago Tour
2012 Honda CRV
FMCA F7777D
from Ohio now full time

garmp

• ---
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2017, 04:35:41 PM »
So which is the best system, in your opinion and why? I have two left hand and am not mechanically inclined at all. Need something simple, yet effective.
thanks

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2017, 08:39:18 PM »
My only experience has been with two different TST models, first the permanent battery model 510, and later on the user replaceable battery model 507. I have had zero problems with either model, and any questions I've had were quickly and accurately answered by TST tech support. I prefer the removable cap style sensors to the flow-thru style, and installation and setup is just a matter of following the clear directions that come with the system. If you can screw on a valve cap, you can install a TST TPMS. If I should need another system in the future, TST will no doubt be the first place I look.
Dutch

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2017, 10:25:19 PM »
So which is the best system, in your opinion and why?

I have the Eezrv system and am very happy with it. I chose it for what I felt was a better display than others.
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2017, 11:13:06 PM »
I have one tire that will not be friends with the TPMS.  Goes flat when I put it on.  I know it is the valves fault because if I switch the TPMS around the same tire goes flat.  If I ever have a problem with that inner dual, I will change out that valve stem   Anyone else had a similar problem?

Had a valve stem slow year a few years ago. Wasn't sure what the problem was but the tire place put it in a big tub of water and discovered the bad stem. They said it is fairly common.

Curious why you don't get it fixed now instead of waiting till you are 40 miles from nowhere which is where all these problems come to a head.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2017, 11:56:58 PM »

I have the Eezrv system and am very happy with it. I chose it for what I felt was a better display than others.
:))
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Sr Fox

• ---
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2017, 05:02:53 PM »
Our EzeTire Monitoring system has saved our bacon about 5 times in the last 2 years and over 30,000 miles and I would never leave home without it.  I word of caution (learned the hard way) Never install them on rubber stems.  Be sure you change all your valve stems to short metal ones.  I have to change the batteries once per year or they fail after about 13 months.  Batteries are easy to change and not expensive.
All I can say is "Get a TPMS and use it every mile you drive! "
http://www.romamexico.com/
https://www.facebook.com/srfoxmexico
2005 Mobile Suites TK3 36
7.3 Ford F350 Dually
2015 Photo log at http://goo.gl/2tNP1v
Travel Log at: www.srfox.net

wstuart

• ---
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2017, 10:58:11 PM »
Hi Arch
The only time I have problems with the tire is when I attach the sensor.

So I will just check the ire pressure with a manual gauge.
Maryann & Wayne
Nanaimo BC
Challenger 37 GT

Hosted by Over The Network