EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Tire pressure monitor  (Read 1068 times)

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
Re: Tire pressure monitor
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2017, 06:35:32 AM »
I had a valve stem on a previous toad that gave me a similar sealing problem. I could feel with my finger that the end of the stem was a little deformed, and a few minutes work with a small file and some fine emery cloth fixed it.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2017, 07:31:38 AM »
Or it could be the little rubber seal inside the TPMS that is leaking. Sometimes if they are screwed on too tight the seal will deform causing a leak.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

timjet

• ---
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2017, 07:43:33 AM »
Reading this there may be some confusion with how the pressure pro system works. The pressure pro sensors "update" approximately every 5 minutes. However if pressure in a tire with a sensor installed drops below 12.5% of the baseline pressure an alert is immediately sent. Baseline pressure is the pressure within the tire when the tire sensor was installed.

Having some experience with the pressure pro system has taught me one lesson. I installed all the sensors on my towed and coach several months ago at my home in FL with outside air temps in the upper 80's. I made sure the tire pressures were exactly where I wanted them to be so the unit would record the correct baseline pressure for each tire. Our first night in Michigan in late July at 3am in the morning the pressure pro alarm sounded. Further investigation revealed one of the towed tires had dropped just below the 12.5% threshold initiating the alarm in the early morning 55 deg outside air temp.
Tim
Tampa Bay
'07 American Tradition DP 40', 1.5 bath
'14 Honda CRV

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2017, 11:03:31 AM »
I had a valve stem on a previous toad that gave me a similar sealing problem. I could feel with my finger that the end of the stem was a little deformed, and a few minutes work with a small file and some fine emery cloth fixed it.

I did essentially the same for one valve stem that always had leak problems with the TPMS. A few minutes with a fine file was all it took to make the contact surface smooth and "square" so that the seal in the TPMS sensor made good contact.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Steve N Dee

• ---
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2017, 12:37:29 PM »
I had a leaky sensor this spring at Yosemite rally.  I just discarded the sensor and ordered a new one.  As always, should have checked here first!
Steve & Dee - Racing towards retirement
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
2005 Winnebago Journey 34H Diesel Pusher
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD Toad
Burbank, CA

On time.....is when we get there

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2017, 07:02:34 PM »
Reading this there may be some confusion with how the pressure pro system works. The pressure pro sensors "update" approximately every 5 minutes. However if pressure in a tire with a sensor installed drops below 12.5% of the baseline pressure an alert is immediately sent. Baseline pressure is the pressure within the tire when the tire sensor was installed.

Having some experience with the pressure pro system has taught me one lesson. I installed all the sensors on my towed and coach several months ago at my home in FL with outside air temps in the upper 80's. I made sure the tire pressures were exactly where I wanted them to be so the unit would record the correct baseline pressure for each tire. Our first night in Michigan in late July at 3am in the morning the pressure pro alarm sounded. Further investigation revealed one of the towed tires had dropped just below the 12.5% threshold initiating the alarm in the early morning 55 deg outside air temp.

That's one reason I prefer the TST's user setable trigger points over arbitrary presets. The temperature related pressure changes can be quite different for different size tires. At 12.5%, 35 PSI toad tire need only drop a bit over 4 lbs to trip the alarm, while a 90 PSI coach tire would need to drop a little over 11 lbs.
Dutch

wstuart

• ---
  • Planning is half the fun
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2017, 07:28:04 PM »
I will check to see how the stem feels. I know it is the valve or stem because when  I switch the sensors around I only have a problem with that one tire. When I contacted the manufacture they told me the sensor hardly ever leaks and to try tighten the valve.  When I still had problems, they sent me a new one.  I will now purchase another set for my toad.  Great customer service.
Maryann & Wayne
Nanaimo BC
Challenger 37 GT
Honda CRV toad Blue Ox tow bar

schoolsout2

• ---
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2017, 05:01:55 PM »
Estuary:  if it is an inner dual, it might just be a valve extension problem.
Dave and Sue Fullerman
2014 Winnebago Tour
2012 Honda CRV
FMCA F7777D
from Ohio now full time

garmp

• ---
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2017, 04:35:41 PM »
So which is the best system, in your opinion and why? I have two left hand and am not mechanically inclined at all. Need something simple, yet effective.
thanks

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2017, 08:39:18 PM »
My only experience has been with two different TST models, first the permanent battery model 510, and later on the user replaceable battery model 507. I have had zero problems with either model, and any questions I've had were quickly and accurately answered by TST tech support. I prefer the removable cap style sensors to the flow-thru style, and installation and setup is just a matter of following the clear directions that come with the system. If you can screw on a valve cap, you can install a TST TPMS. If I should need another system in the future, TST will no doubt be the first place I look.
Dutch

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2017, 10:25:19 PM »
So which is the best system, in your opinion and why?

I have the Eezrv system and am very happy with it. I chose it for what I felt was a better display than others.
Scott
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350 "OURVEE"
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 800W Solar
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab "RTOAD"
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster

Arch Hoagland

• ---
  • Clovis CA
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2017, 11:13:06 PM »
I have one tire that will not be friends with the TPMS.  Goes flat when I put it on.  I know it is the valves fault because if I switch the TPMS around the same tire goes flat.  If I ever have a problem with that inner dual, I will change out that valve stem   Anyone else had a similar problem?

Had a valve stem slow year a few years ago. Wasn't sure what the problem was but the tire place put it in a big tub of water and discovered the bad stem. They said it is fairly common.

Curious why you don't get it fixed now instead of waiting till you are 40 miles from nowhere which is where all these problems come to a head.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36 DBD
W22, 8.1 gas,  Allison 1000 Transmission
7.1 MPG over 80,000 miles

2000 Lexus RX300, 4020lb
U.S. Gear Braking System

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2017, 11:56:58 PM »

I have the Eezrv system and am very happy with it. I chose it for what I felt was a better display than others.
:))
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Sr Fox

• ---
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2017, 05:02:53 PM »
Our EzeTire Monitoring system has saved our bacon about 5 times in the last 2 years and over 30,000 miles and I would never leave home without it.  I word of caution (learned the hard way) Never install them on rubber stems.  Be sure you change all your valve stems to short metal ones.  I have to change the batteries once per year or they fail after about 13 months.  Batteries are easy to change and not expensive.
All I can say is "Get a TPMS and use it every mile you drive! "
http://www.romamexico.com/
https://www.facebook.com/srfoxmexico
2005 Mobile Suites TK3 36
7.3 Ford F350 Dually
2015 Photo log at http://goo.gl/2tNP1v
Travel Log at: www.srfox.net

wstuart

• ---
  • Planning is half the fun
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2017, 10:58:11 PM »
Hi Arch
The only time I have problems with the tire is when I attach the sensor.

So I will just check the ire pressure with a manual gauge.
Maryann & Wayne
Nanaimo BC
Challenger 37 GT
Honda CRV toad Blue Ox tow bar

Hosted by Over The Network