Tire pressure monitor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used a compartmentalized fishing box for our prior set of sensors. Eventually gave them and the display to my son. I'm about to do the tackle box thing with our newer set.

I used to do something similar, Tom, but now they only get removed to replace the batteries once a year. I just use a plastic bag to collect them for the 30 minutes or so they're off.

NY_Dutch said:
You're welcome, Bill. I marked my sensors by position with an awl to make re-installation easy.

My TST sensors came with small stick-on labels with numbers you could use to match the sensor number with the corresponding tire in the monitor display. They've lasted through at least 5 years (don't recall exactly when I got them).

I seem to recall my previous TST 510 set came with stickers, Larry, but I don't think the 507 did. Unless I used them on the security covers before I permanently removed them.

[quote author=NY_Dutch]I just use a plastic bag to collect them for the 30 minutes or so they're off.[/quote]

I'm currently using plastic (sandwich) bags to store them (the bags are labeled with a felt pen), but they're a PITA (blow away too easily). That's why I'm switching back to a tackle box.

Tom said:
I'm currently using plastic (sandwich) bags to store them (the bags are labeled with a felt pen), but they're a PITA (blow away too easily). That's why I'm switching back to a tackle box.

Yep, that makes sense for longer term storage, Tom.

I have one tire that will not be friends with the TPMS.  Goes flat when I put it on.  I know it is the valves fault because if I switch the TPMS around the same tire goes flat.  If I ever have a problem with that inner dual, I will change out that valve stem  Anyone else had a similar problem?

I had a valve stem on a previous toad that gave me a similar sealing problem. I could feel with my finger that the end of the stem was a little deformed, and a few minutes work with a small file and some fine emery cloth fixed it.

Or it could be the little rubber seal inside the TPMS that is leaking. Sometimes if they are screwed on too tight the seal will deform causing a leak.

Reading this there may be some confusion with how the pressure pro system works. The pressure pro sensors "update" approximately every 5 minutes. However if pressure in a tire with a sensor installed drops below 12.5% of the baseline pressure an alert is immediately sent. Baseline pressure is the pressure within the tire when the tire sensor was installed.

Having some experience with the pressure pro system has taught me one lesson. I installed all the sensors on my towed and coach several months ago at my home in FL with outside air temps in the upper 80's. I made sure the tire pressures were exactly where I wanted them to be so the unit would record the correct baseline pressure for each tire. Our first night in Michigan in late July at 3am in the morning the pressure pro alarm sounded. Further investigation revealed one of the towed tires had dropped just below the 12.5% threshold initiating the alarm in the early morning 55 deg outside air temp.

I had a valve stem on a previous toad that gave me a similar sealing problem. I could feel with my finger that the end of the stem was a little deformed, and a few minutes work with a small file and some fine emery cloth fixed it.

I did essentially the same for one valve stem that always had leak problems with the TPMS. A few minutes with a fine file was all it took to make the contact surface smooth and "square" so that the seal in the TPMS sensor made good contact.

I had a leaky sensor this spring at Yosemite rally.  I just discarded the sensor and ordered a new one.  As always, should have checked here first!

timjet said:
Reading this there may be some confusion with how the pressure pro system works. The pressure pro sensors "update" approximately every 5 minutes. However if pressure in a tire with a sensor installed drops below 12.5% of the baseline pressure an alert is immediately sent. Baseline pressure is the pressure within the tire when the tire sensor was installed.

Having some experience with the pressure pro system has taught me one lesson. I installed all the sensors on my towed and coach several months ago at my home in FL with outside air temps in the upper 80's. I made sure the tire pressures were exactly where I wanted them to be so the unit would record the correct baseline pressure for each tire. Our first night in Michigan in late July at 3am in the morning the pressure pro alarm sounded. Further investigation revealed one of the towed tires had dropped just below the 12.5% threshold initiating the alarm in the early morning 55 deg outside air temp.

That's one reason I prefer the TST's user setable trigger points over arbitrary presets. The temperature related pressure changes can be quite different for different size tires. At 12.5%, 35 PSI toad tire need only drop a bit over 4 lbs to trip the alarm, while a 90 PSI coach tire would need to drop a little over 11 lbs.

I will check to see how the stem feels. I know it is the valve or stem because when  I switch the sensors around I only have a problem with that one tire. When I contacted the manufacture they told me the sensor hardly ever leaks and to try tighten the valve.  When I still had problems, they sent me a new one.  I will now purchase another set for my toad.  Great customer service.

Estuary:  if it is an inner dual, it might just be a valve extension problem.

So which is the best system, in your opinion and why? I have two left hand and am not mechanically inclined at all. Need something simple, yet effective.
thanks

My only experience has been with two different TST models, first the permanent battery model 510, and later on the user replaceable battery model 507. I have had zero problems with either model, and any questions I've had were quickly and accurately answered by TST tech support. I prefer the removable cap style sensors to the flow-thru style, and installation and setup is just a matter of following the clear directions that come with the system. If you can screw on a valve cap, you can install a TST TPMS. If I should need another system in the future, TST will no doubt be the first place I look.

Back
Top Bottom