4 blowouts in couple months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cbarbour914

Anyone out there have an idea why we might be having problem with tire blowouts. We've had 4 blow out since July (3 after leaving beach, 1 on way to beach) Always inside tire of dually's but 2 on side up against other tire and 2 on opposite side. We have been airing down to 20 and airing up to 110 (which it says for tire) until we discovered we should only be airing up to 85 psi. We have a 99 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. They look as if someone took a knife to them always a split on sidewall, never on treads. They are Load Range G tires 19.5 245/70's Also should add we take it out on beach so we air down to 20 & up to 85. Thanks in advance!

Let me get this straight.  Your taking your MH on the beach?
Airing the duals down it is quite possible your getting sand between the rim and bead causing loss of pressure, placing the other tire in a gross overload situation.    Age and brand of tire can also be contributing to your tire issues.

Airing tires down to 20 and up to 110 is just plain dumb. This is not a Baja Bug, it does not belong on a beach and having the air removed. All that weight on an under inflated tire will cause it to deteriorate much faster than normal. There is no valid reason for taking an RV to a beach.

I would say that since you are airing your tires down to 20#, and then having sidewall problems with the duals, that the tires, which will expand outward when pressure is released and they are under a load, are rubbing on each other. Like the other people, I don't really understand why you are driving a MH on a sandy beach and releasing air pressure which lowers the load capacity of your tires. A tire with 20# of air CANNOT carry the weight of the same tire with 85 or 90 or 110 psi. It's an accident waiting to happen.

When we're Jeeping in the rocky hills of Death Valley, the Anza Borrego Desert or wherever, we air the Jeep's down to 12 psi. I understand the thought process of airing tires down while driving on the sand too, but you should not do it in an RV that's as heavy as yours, especially if it's got dual tires - the sidewalls will get damaged from rubbing and flexing too much. I'm quite sure that's what's causing your blowouts. It totally depends on the sand, but I've seen literally thousands of Class A, B and C RVs driving on the sand without aired down tires. And yes, some of them got stuck.

Kev

How old are the tires?  Each one has a date code on it.  If they're more than seven years old you're ready for new ones because motorhome tires usually age out before they wear out.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
How old are the tires?  Each one has a date code on it.  If they're more than seven years old you're ready for new ones because motorhome tires usually age out before they wear out.

ArdraF

Well, after four, he should be down to the steer tires left to replace.

When you air down the tires, you ARE grossly overloading them, and breaking the sidewalls down. Tires on a heavy vehicle like your MH must have the correct air pressure to sustain the load put on them. With your practices you are ruining the tires, not even new tires can take that abuse.

Interesting topic. We go to Pismo Beach each May for my B-Day. We take the jeep on the beach to site see and watch all the crazies zip around. Hundreds of TT's are camping out there. It is common practice for the tires to be deflated for flotation effect. On the heavy MH and the weight that would create unforeseen rubbing problems. Never thot of that...

Im going to hazard a guess that you were doing well in excess of 60 mph when these blowouts occurred. My previous coach had 19.5 tires, and I had two blowouts, both going through rolling hills and let it get up to 70 or more. I dont think the 19.5 tires will take the speed like the bigger 22.5s will. I learned to keep it under 60 and never had another flat in five years.

Cbarbour914 said:
Anyone out there have an idea why we might be having problem with tire blowouts. We've had 4 blow out since July (3 after leaving beach, 1 on way to beach) Always inside tire of dually's but 2 on side up against other tire and 2 on opposite side. We have been airing down to 20 and airing up to 110 (which it says for tire) until we discovered we should only be airing up to 85 psi. We have a 99 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. They look as if someone took a knife to them always a split on sidewall, never on treads. They are Load Range G tires 19.5 245/70's Also should add we take it out on beach so we air down to 20 & up to 85. Thanks in advance!
First, welcome to the forum.
When you air down your tires you are basically running them flat and destroying them.
muskoka guy, most 19.5 tires are speed rated to 75. What brand tires and what load range were you running? What were your 4 corner weight's? What inflation were you running?
Bill

WILDEBILL308 said:
Where did you see he had 18 yearold tires?
Bill

Simple observation. He never said he replaced them so I had to assume the originals were still on the RV.

To lose four tires is really unusual but if they were 18 years old that would explain the problem.

I had hoped he'd come back on the forum and state the age of the tires but so far he hasn't.

I agree with everyone who said the problem was likely cause by running the tires on such low air pressure.  However, if you have dual wheels you should always be checking for stones, rocks or or anything else that can get stuck between the duals.  A stone or piece of wood wedged between the tires will cause a blowout of the sidewall in short order.

Wi1dBi11     

As you say, 19.5 are speed rated to 75. If you are going 70 plus, you are at or near their safe operating speed. I just noticed after getting a few flats at higher speeds that most of the big hills had gators at the bottom. This lead me to the conclusion that staying well below those speeds was much safer. My tires were properly inflated, but they were a bit older than I now know to run.

muskoka guy said:
As you say, 19.5 are speed rated to 75. If you are going 70 plus, you are at or near their safe operating speed. I just noticed after getting a few flats at higher speeds that most of the big hills had gators at the bottom. This lead me to the conclusion that staying well below those speeds was much safer. My tires were properly inflated, but they were a bit older than I now know to run.
More likely just old tires. I won't run my tires past 7 years.
Hopefully the OP will come back. He needs to replace all his tires because they have been run flat and are unsafe to run on the highway at any speed.
Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom