Las Cruces to Midland/Odessa, Hiway 10/20 or 62?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

Looking for fastest, smoothest route. Google says drive time differs by only 2 min.

We've always stayed on I-10/20, so can't speak for alternate routes.

Hope you don't plan to stay at Midessa Oil Patch; It's home to lots of oil workers, and lots of diesel pickups fire up very early in the morning.

Interesting, you say drive time only differs by 2 minutes.  My Delorme Street Atlas shows Las Cruses to Odessa to be 325 miles via i-10 & I-20 and 368 miles via US-62.  On top of the longer distance, you have a number of towns to slow you down on US-62.

There is a pretty good climb on I-10 east of El Paso going up to Sierra Blanca, if it is hot outside, watch your engine temp. 

Appreciate the responses. We ended up staying on 10. I think Google was adding construction delays in El Paso when I checked last night, making the two routes seem similar. When I checked this morning the 10 route was 30 min shorter. Drive went fine, roads generally pretty smooth. No climbs that were a problem.

Re the Oil Patch, we're at "Mesquite Oasis" in Odessa. Definitely not an oasis but at least the 50 amp is solid.

Sounds like a good choice of route and RV park.

For future trips ... if you haven't yet stayed there, Hacienda RV Park in Las Cruces is a great place to stay, not inexpensive, but they are/were a Passport America park.

Tom said:
For future trips ... if you haven't yet stayed there, Hacienda RV Park in Las Cruces is a great place to stay, not inexpensive, but they are/were a Passport America park.

Thanks will keep it in mind. Probably will stay in Las Cruces again as it's a good 1 day drive for those trips headed east. We ended up at the KOA, very clean and city light view, although water/sewer hookups are located too far back on pull-throughs to use without long extensions (which I have but didn't want to fuss with for a quick one-nighter).

Tom said:
Sounds like a good choice of route and RV park.

We love Hacienda Rv Park. The downside is parking on small gravel that trackes easily. Big upside close to Messilla and great food. Never has a bad experience at Hacienda park and they are dog friendly

Thanks. They also have lots of room for big rigs.

Back
Top Bottom