GAS TANK ON A 1996 FLEETWOOD SOUTHWIND SHORTY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharon and Bernard

We have 1996 Fleetwood southwind shorty, the gas gauge is broken, the motor home was my dads and only has 16000 miles on it. What is the size of the gas tank? we were thinking about making a trip with it and watching the miles. We can not get it fixed in the small town we live in.

Welcome to The RV Forum!

If you don't get an answer, crawl underneath the RV with a tape measure.  There are 231 cubic inches in a US gallon, so multiply the tank's length x width x depth to get its volume in cubic inches.  Divide this by 231 to get the tank's volume in gallons.

The same technique works for the water and holding tanks, but the floor of a holding tank slopes towards the outlet so measure the depth at both ends and use an average.

Also be aware that if you have a gasoline powered generator (some use propane) it won't run if the fuel level drops below 1/4 tank.  This is deliberate, so you can't run the tank dry and be stranded in a remote campsite.

Fill it up, set the trip meter to 000000. Run the genny all the time you're driving, at least the first tank, when the genny quits, fill up again. Divide the number of gallons used 3, then multiply ThAT number by 4 that should be REALLY close to how much fuel you hold. I'd be willing to bet it's a 55 gal. tank.

Not sure what a"shorty" really means in terms of the chassis, but the Ford F53 motorhome chassis came with a 75 gallon tank. I think the Chevy P30 chassis did as well. That would probably be regardless of the wheelbase length of the particular chassis.

Is "shorty" maybe the 30 footer?

My 95 Challenger 30 fter and my buddies 96 Storm 30 fter both had 80 gallon tanks on them. I think that's the size that's on my 34 ft Dolphin too. I never let my tank get below 1/4 on anything I drive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom