EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: ABS issue on Workhorse Chassis - New brake sound  (Read 131 times)

JoelP

• ---
ABS issue on Workhorse Chassis - New brake sound
« on: September 13, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
It seems that the ABS sensors on the Workhorse chassis are especially prone to going out of adjustment.  I was unable to detect or clear an ABS code with my OBDII, so I took it to one of the local RV repair houses who fixed this last November.  They cleared the code and said they could not cause it to reoccur even though they had not repaired anything.  They charged me $135 for this service, but the ABS put up a code again even before I could drive it home, so I let them know that we need to come back when the code presents and doesn't clear itself.

Since then I have seen the ABS code come and go several times.  I have noticed that when the code is not present the brakes are making a sound/pitch that seems new when braking from a relative low speed of 10-25 mph such as when braking to make a sharp turn.  I have to wonder if this is related to the ABS issue since I don't recall hearing this when the code is active.

Has anyone run into a similar issue?  I checked the fluid in what I think is the power brake master cylinder reservoir and found it to be at the top, although this could be the power steering reservoir.  It is the one almost in the middle as I open the hood.

Joel
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

kdbgoat

• ---
Re: ABS issue on Workhorse Chassis - New brake sound
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:58:36 AM »
It's not anything to do with your wheel bearings is it?
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

JoelP

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:59:52 AM »
It's not anything to do with your wheel bearings is it?

This is a good thought, but not likely since I had my front wheel bearing replaced last year.
Joel from San Jose

2010 Itasca Suncruiser 37F
8.1L Chevy Workhorse with Banks PowerPack
2016 CMax Energi Hybrid dinghy

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 11:10:55 AM »
It still could have failed. I'm just grabbing at straws here.

The only place I know to start is make sure the sensors are clean, and the air gap is correct. The reason I asked about bearings, is if there is too much end-play on the wheel bearings, it can affect the air gap.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 06:10:20 PM »
Very poor sensor design.. First. The sensors themselves are Hall Effect Sensors which are cylinders shoved into a sleeve on the "Backside" of the brake plate .. You can easily pull them out (you may need to use pliers) and clean them with a cleaner cloth.

But it's only good for about a mile and then they need cleaning again or so it seems.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 08:36:56 AM »
To answer the more specific question, I doubt if the sensor is causing the noise you hear, but it is conceivable even if unlikely. Probably need to tear down the wheels and investigate both problems.

If at all possible I would find a chassis shop that knows the Workhorse system rather than use an RV dealer shop. Few RV shops have techs who are well-qualified to diagnose and repair chassis issues. If you Google 'workhorse chassis repair' you may find one near you. For example, Penske Truck Centers claim to have Workhorse expertise.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:39:20 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network