ABS issue on Workhorse Chassis - New brake sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoelP

It seems that the ABS sensors on the Workhorse chassis are especially prone to going out of adjustment.  I was unable to detect or clear an ABS code with my OBDII, so I took it to one of the local RV repair houses who fixed this last November.  They cleared the code and said they could not cause it to reoccur even though they had not repaired anything.  They charged me $135 for this service, but the ABS put up a code again even before I could drive it home, so I let them know that we need to come back when the code presents and doesn't clear itself.

Since then I have seen the ABS code come and go several times.  I have noticed that when the code is not present the brakes are making a sound/pitch that seems new when braking from a relative low speed of 10-25 mph such as when braking to make a sharp turn.  I have to wonder if this is related to the ABS issue since I don't recall hearing this when the code is active.

Has anyone run into a similar issue?  I checked the fluid in what I think is the power brake master cylinder reservoir and found it to be at the top, although this could be the power steering reservoir.  It is the one almost in the middle as I open the hood.

Joel

kdbgoat said:
It's not anything to do with your wheel bearings is it?

This is a good thought, but not likely since I had my front wheel bearing replaced last year.

It still could have failed. I'm just grabbing at straws here.

The only place I know to start is make sure the sensors are clean, and the air gap is correct. The reason I asked about bearings, is if there is too much end-play on the wheel bearings, it can affect the air gap.

Very poor sensor design.. First. The sensors themselves are Hall Effect Sensors which are cylinders shoved into a sleeve on the "Backside" of the brake plate .. You can easily pull them out (you may need to use pliers) and clean them with a cleaner cloth.

But it's only good for about a mile and then they need cleaning again or so it seems.

To answer the more specific question, I doubt if the sensor is causing the noise you hear, but it is conceivable even if unlikely. Probably need to tear down the wheels and investigate both problems.

If at all possible I would find a chassis shop that knows the Workhorse system rather than use an RV dealer shop. Few RV shops have techs who are well-qualified to diagnose and repair chassis issues. If you Google 'workhorse chassis repair' you may find one near you. For example, Penske Truck Centers claim to have Workhorse expertise.

This is to close out an old issue from last Fall.  After removing and cleaning each of the Hall effect sensors and reseating them I found that this did not cause the system from setting the ABS code.  I then followed the advice that someone provided (sorry, but I forgot who) to measure the resistance of each sensor.  I found that one was much lower resistance from the rest, so I ordered a replacement sensor for $87 + tax and shipping and replaced that sensor.  Last week was the first trip with that new sensor.  After 5 hours of driving I still have no code.  Also the noise that I was hearing was gone, presumably because the OBS was causing the brakes to work correctly. Hooray! 

BTW I have tried in the past to take my RV to a truck chassis repair center and all of the larger ones that I have called here will not touch an RV.  It seems they are not willing to have the liability of an expensive RV, or some other reason that I cannot figure out. The small independent chassis repair shop I found south of here that does all of the chassis repair for Camping World couldn't even reset the OBD code for this, leave less fix it.

I hope that this info helps someone else to diagnose their own Workhorse ABS issue.

Back
Top Bottom