2008 Itasca Sunrise 32H

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BD450

Howdy RV community 

So..... I'm seriously  looking at buying a 2008 Itasca Sunrise. from a one owner person . my question  is it has 42,000 miles which is above what I see for sale in Tiffins or other Itasca's, the norm seems to be more like 28K to 33K for 2008 coaches or lower, is this half of the possible life for a GM and Allison running gear ? Also it had to have the complete engine side A/C replaced. Seems like AC systems should go into more years and run fine.
The owner has towed a 2001 Jeep Cherokee and has been across the country up to Maine. what do you all think my precautions should be ?

Thanks in Advance for any thoughts or opinions

Attachments

• 2008 Sunrise1.jpg
    2008 Sunrise1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Sunrise 2.jpg
    Sunrise 2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 21
I would think 200,000 miles are possible with that engine and transmission.

As far as precautions the only thing you could do to protect your purchase in advance would be to take it to an RV service center that you trust and have them conduced a through inspection.  After the fact you could purchase a warranty.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to make the purchase if the owner has proper maintenance records, 42K miles wouldn't concern me at all.  As far as other units having lower mileage many buses of this nature are parked and lived in, the fact that this bus was driven may actually be better if that is what are going to do too.

ClickHill said:
As far as precautions the only thing you could do to protect your purchase in advance would be to take it to an RV service center that you trust and have them conduced a through inspection.  After the fact you could purchase a warranty.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to make the purchase if the owner has proper maintenance records, 42K miles wouldn't concern me at all.  As far as other units having lower mileage many buses of this nature are parked and lived in, the fact that this bus was driven may actually be better if that is what are going to do too.

ok, I needed for some one to say that, seems like a nice deal once I pay for a professional inspection

Thank You    clickhill

is this half of the possible life for a GM and Allison running gear ?

No, not at all. 200K should be achievable with just routine maintenance.
the norm seems to be more like 28K to 33K for 2008 coaches or lower

Mileage varies widely, but 6000/year is considered typical for RVs. The range is probably 2000-16,000, but gas coaches tend to be well under 8000/yr. If you are finding 7 year old coaches with 28k-32k, you are probably in an area with a shorter camping season and coaches don't get used as much.

Also it had to have the complete engine side A/C replaced. Seems like AC systems should go into more years and run fine.
Hard to say without knowing more about what the problem was and why.  The a/c compressor comes with the Workhorse chassis, but the rest of the system and its controls are added by the coach builder (Winnebago in this case).It does seem strange that the "whole system' needed to be replaced, but if it was taken to an RV dealer shop, they tend to just replace things rather than diagnose & repair. A professional a/c shop might have approached the fix more efficiently.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
No, not at all. 200K should be achievable with just routine maintenance.
Mileage varies widely, but 6000/year is considered typical for RVs. The range is probably 2000-16,000, but gas coaches tend to be well under 8000/yr. If you are finding 7 year old coaches with 28k-32k, you are probably in an area with a shorter camping season and coaches don't get used as much.
Hard to say without knowing more about what the problem was and why.  The a/c compressor comes with the Workhorse chassis, but the rest of the system and its controls are added by the coach builder (Winnebago in this case).It does seem strange that the "whole system' needed to be replaced, but if it was taken to an RV dealer shop, they tend to just replace things rather than diagnose & repair. A professional a/c shop might have approached the fix more efficiently.

200K huh, ok, I'll take you guys at your word, I just didn't think a gas motor in a coach would make it that far, based on not beating the the thing up, and with regular maint, good news
on the AC deal, it wasn't the basement air, it was the dash or comp in the engine compartment, as what I was told by the current owner / Got me. I'll find out more when I make the trip to go see it, and talk with the owner this next week              Thanks Gary for your input

The 2007 F-150 worktruck I'm driving right now is going to roll 270,000 miles next week. It has it's oil changed every 5000 miles. It uses no oil at all between changes, and yes it gets run fairly hard a bit. One must understand that with the metals being used to manufacture these engines, and the advancement of the oils for lubrication, 250,000 miles is a piece of cake if proper maintenance is being done. As the commercial used to say..."This isn't your father's Oldsmobile"

Back
Top Bottom