94 E350/460 Travelaire C class

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tsmagnet

Hello everyone , we have just purchased a 94 Travelaire class c with 460 power , although we are not new to the RV world , we have never done the 460 ford power before . I am wondering what engine issues may arise and what i should watch for going forward . The unit is quite low mileage at 53,000 so should not have too many issues as yet , thank you for any input .

Well in my experience with Ford Big Blocks, you won't be passing many gas stations along the way. Good luck with it, a 23 year old coach, the engine may the least of your worries.

I have had my 460 about 5 years now.  It has not been any issue except for the power steering pump needing replacement.  I did blow the transmission main seal because I overheated it trying to get out of deep sand but that was on me.  I added an external oil cooler to replace the stock oil cooler which uses engine coolant to cool the oil and mixes oil and water if it fails. Not sure if your model year has that same setup. The 460 does generate a lot of heat but that is its normal mode of operation.  I added an oil temp sensor to better monitor its operation.  If I add anything else it will be a redundant tranny cooler and temp gauge.  If you are a gearhead you can visit the Ford Trucks Enthusiast forum.  They use that engine in a lot of the older Broncos and have a lot of good information.  I get between 7-8 miles a gallon usually.  I would expect you to get the same.

I'm still running the 460 in our Bounder. Dependable and good power. 6 -7mpg towing.
I don't know if the E350 had the geo rotor fuel pump originally like the F53 of that vintage or not. If it did and hasn't been changed to new turbine style, it can be problematic.
The ignition module (tfi). A failing tfi can cause all kinds of problems from no start to the transmission going into "limp home mode" while driving. I carry an extra one.
Ignition relay can cause hard to find intermittent miss. Been down that road.
ECU can cause weird problems that are hard to find. Had to replace mine.
Vacuum hoses get old and hard and tomato can type vacuum accumulator rust out causing leaks and rough running.
Some have had problems with broken exhaust manifold bolts. I never have and I have a total of three 460 engines. Motorhome, f250, and f350 1991 through 1995. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom