How long does dealer repair take

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I live in my motorhome full-time, so I cannot just leave mine for weeks on end while they leave it parked in their lot while they put the repairs in Queue.  I also have had a lot of bad experience, like waiting for hours only to find out they had not started the work as promised, or that they had ordered the wrong part and it won't fit, etc. etc.

So here is what I do for repairs:

• I tell them on the phone what repairs need to be done and ask for an estimate of how long it will take.  I also ask them if they think they have all the parts they would need for these repairs.
  • I tell them I am living in my unit and can't leave it parked there overnight.
  • When I take it in for my appointment I remind them I am waiting for it.  I also ask them to let me know if they discover they need to order a part. If they do, I want them to let me know immediately, fix what they can then, and then let me know when I can bring it back for the rest of the repairs. 

Usually, this gets me faster repairs and prevents communication errors.  It also prevents wasted time waiting for parts.  And this is for non-warranty repairs. I don't think is pressuring them to do my work before anyone else's, but it does communicate expectations and get them to let me know status.

I gave up on the dealer I purchased my motorhome from because they refused to repair some things under warranty and complained constantly about the things they did repair.  I called the factory customer service number and complained about how the dealer had refused to fix stuff and stuff they did fix, did not stay fixed.  I also got tired of waiting for parts, so I took it to the factory for all the rest of my warranty repairs. 

All I can do is wish you good luck.  If you get desperate, you might mention what you had heard on blogs about that dealer and hope you don't have to post anything negative.

After reading stories on here and other forums for several years, I guess my dealer is very atypical. I had no issues at purchase, they had done a very thorough PDI and when I inspected and did my PDI, the tech outlined what issues they had discovered and fixed/replaced. My current trailer they did the same.

Any service I needed (minor, luckily), I called and made an appointment. When I arrived, they were ready, and I was out at the end of the day - and they even washed my trailer.

The one major issue I had on my prior RV, a ramp delamination (it's a Toy Hauler), they had me bring it in and they inspected it and took pictures, then sent me home with the trailer, I used it the next weekend. Next day they called and told me the manufacturer (KZ) had approved the replacement and was sending a new ramp. Said it would be a couple of weeks as they would send it in a trailer being delivered. 2 weeks to the day they called and said ramp was in, could I bring it the following Thursday so they could do the replacement on Friday, caulk and seal the hardware and allow it to set up and test for leaks over the weekend. I picked it up on Monday, zero cost. And they washed and waxed it.

I feel very fortunate that my dealer is apparently one of the better ones.

"I feel very fortunate that my dealer is apparently one of the better ones."

Your dealer is not one of the better ones. Your dealer is THE BEST ONE!

Well the data is entered and the good news is we are getting the camper back tomorrow    The bad news is we are having to pay for the roof leak because apparently even though it has a two year warranty it is only a one year warranty on the roof    No one bothered to tell us that when we bought the camper but we were supposed to read Jayco manual to find that out  Dumb us.  Live and learn!  Anyway thanks for all of your comments    I learn so much on this forum ! 

Thanks for the head's up on the roof warranty, that is good information while we look at coaches.

How long does it take.. Two stories. One personal

I went to dealer to ask about getting a recall satisfied and they told me that it would take them over two weeks to get the part. I called Workhorse and had the part that same evening.  Handed it in attached to the business card of the man who delivered it.

Next time I had a problem that authorized service center not only got the part promptly (Fed-Ex Overnight) they moved big time (Of course the man who handed me the recall part...... National Customer Service Dept head. Man who decides IF they are authorized).

Newspaper: GM CEO held a news conference. and he was bragging about their new, improved, customer service... He ask a specific reporter if he had any complaints.

Well.... as a matter of fact......

Within the hour a porter with a loaner car at his house (News conference still ongoing) and took his car to the dealer where he picked it up.... all fixed.... the very next day.

3rd story: My first "Towed" was a 1992 Chevy Lumina APV..  Had a brake issue (Excessive pedal travel) The dealer never did figure it out.... I finally sat at work during my down time and visualized the brake system.  Figured out what the issue had to be. Took it to my Tire guy the next day (they do brakes and other stuff) and they verified and fixed. LIKE NEW.    Dealer did refund me a couple hours diagnosis time since their "Factory Trained" expert could not figure it out.. I have no training in that area.. Just an engineer's mind.

Glad you got your leak issue remedied. I would advise anyone buying a used or NEW RV or trailer to have a pressurized leak test done before moving the camper off the sales lot, or immediately after purchasing from an individual. It'll cost about $200. Also I would advise getting up on the roof at least every 6 months to inspect the caulking for cracks. The seams on many RVs and trailers are not sealed with folds of metal and elastomer O-rings. They are sealed with caulking.

I have my service work done at an RV service-only facility. They don't sell RVs. I give them my guess at what the problem is. They look at their work back-log and give me a day to bring in the camper, usually one to two weeks out. They are always booked up. I bring it in and they get it back to me within a week if no parts are needed, two weeks if parts are ordered.

Looking at the subject line again I remember the story of a man who's pick up layed an egg..er. transmission (it fell off) it was towed to the dealer and there it sat.. For months.

Finally he wrote a letter: TO: Ceo of the auto company

He got two answers.. The CEO answered very promptly but even before that reply arrived a few days later he got a call from the dealer.. You'r truck's ready.

Job only took a couple hours.. but the dealer needed to have his........ Kicked and good by the company before he'd move.

We had only one warranty issue with our new coach - a section of bedroom wall paneling was quite loose from the wall structure.  You had to hold it against the wall when pulling a plug from the power outlet, or it would just come right with it! 

Happily, our dealer got us in within 2 days, and fixed it overnight.  When we came to pick up the coach, the service writer came inside with us and made sure we were happy with the results.  He also documented and photographed the problem to send to Winnebago's QC department (they requested this) so they could try to avoid the problem on other builds. 

We were very happy with the experience.  :)

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones too.  CampLand in northern Indiana has been excellent with repairs and parts and explanations and then showing me what they've done.  My Trend can't tow, so I am a captive audience while they work on whatever.  They know I'm waiting, and so my standard question is: should I bring my pajamas??  My salesman always offers his car if I need to run errands too.

FunSteak said:
We had only one warranty issue with our new coach - a section of bedroom wall paneling was quite loose from the wall structure.  You had to hold it against the wall when pulling a plug from the power outlet, or it would just come right with it! 

Do you know how they fixed it?

Graycat said:
Do you know how they fixed it?

Not 100%, but it appears that they simply pulled the panel, applied adhesive to it (or the studs/structure behind it) and reapplied it.  It's nice and solid now.

Interestingly, this is an issue we noticed on the walkthrough, though not quite as bad as it eventually became.  They told me it was addressed, and it did feel better, but not nearly as solid as it does now.  After a couple hundred miles of vibration, it loosened again, and I initiated the warranty claim.  It seems that they just sort of "tucked it in" on the first go-round. 

What really bugged me was the 120 outlet on that wall, which is up high (probably for the optional bedroom TV we don't have).  You couldn't pull out a plug without holding the wall panel, or the darn thing would just keep pulling away from the structure behind it, outlet and all. 

Happy it's good to go now.  Other than that, this coach has been pretty rock solid.  :)

Back
Top Bottom