Storing our first motor home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTM

When storing your motor home, I have heard two train of thoughts...#1-when storing it for a season do you use the stabilizers to lift the tires off the ground....#2-or not............
AND what does everyone use under their tires to keep them off the ground when they are camping? Thanks!!

I am not sure if average stabilizers are long enough to get the tires off the ground. They are made to stabilize the rig and get it level. With enough boards underneath the feet Its probably a safe bet you have enough stroke to pick the rig up far enough to have the tires off the ground. I understand its a terrible idea to do this, unless you are changing out a flat. The suspension components are not designed to handle all the weight of tire and wheel combo. As far as storage they say its ok to energize your levelers soas to take SOME weight of the tires to help avoid flat spots.

Millions of other big rigs like transports, park and dont have jacks to put down. I have never stored mine with them down. More likely to have the cylinders rust with them down. I have seen people drive onto blocks of wood to separate the rubber from concrete if left for extended periods. I certainly wouldnt lift the tires from the ground if I was to store with the jacks down. Possibly put something on the cylinders to prevent corrosion. This would attract dust and dirt, and you would want to wipe them clean before retracting them.

My coach has been stored on concrete for 13 years with the tires on the ground.

I don't extend the stabilizers as it would expose them to the elements and serves no useful purpose while stored.

The tire manufacturers recommend taking weight off the tires for long term storage, but no need to get them completely off the ground. As an alternative, they recommend inflating them and extra 10-15 psi. Neither is very important, though, and chances are good that your tires will need replacement due to old age before any other factor.

There is no particular need to have anything under the tires, whether camping or otherwise, despite all the noise you see about putting things between tires and concrete or whatever. Preferably the surface should be well-drained and have no noxious chemicals in it, but otherwise your tires will be fine on most any surface. Sand, gravel, cured concrete, etc. are all good.

I have never parked mine on anything either, but I have seen lots of people with them parked on blocking. Probably a good idea to not let anything sit too long without taking it for a spin around town to shake out the cobwebs.

Probably a good idea to not let anything sit too long without taking it for a spin around town to shake out the cobwebs.

So long as that "spin" is long enough to get the engine and such fully warmed up (to bake out moisture, etc.), perhaps half an hour or so. If it's not fully warmed, then you may be making things worse, leaving moisture in the works.

I'm learning on the storage a bit too, as I just had to replace all 6 of my coach AGM batteries after storing last winter.  I guess the plan will be to start it and take it for a run for 30-60 minutes every month or so, including running the generator.  Hate to, because none of that stuff likes to work when it gets real cold, but I think I will need to this winter.

I'm planning on using a battery maintainer  to keep the batteries charged .  I bought one that is supposed to be good for up to 4 batteries . Will be our first winter  storage

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom