Window caulking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sc4668

Hi all

I have a 2007 Denali 5th wheel and I inspected the roof and windows and trim to see the condition of the caulking. I have found some of the windows in need of caulking. I need a recommendation of what material to use that is functional and will not make a mess on me and the coach (lol).

A lot of folks use Geocel Proflex. Lexel can also be used, but be aware, Lexel skins really quick. I would recommend staying away from any caulk containing silicone.
As far as the mess, you can use masking tape on both sides of where you apply the bead of caulk. You can either leave the caulk rounded up as it comes out of the tube, or wipe it your finger, them immediately  remove the tape. That's where Lexel being quick to skin over becomes an issue. When I say immediately, I mean like "right now".

When you say window caulk, I take it you are talking about the sealer around the window trim. The actual seal is under the window frame, between it and the sidewall and is usually a butyl compound.  A thin bead of sealer/caulk is then applied along the outside top edge and down the sides (only) to help keep water from getting behind the frame.  The outside caulk bead is typically a silicone based product, but Geocel Proflex is an excellent alternative. The advantage of a tri-polymer like Proflex is that it can be applied over itself to touch up as needed, whereas silicones generally need to be removed to re-apply, because basically nothing sticks to silicone once it is applied. You can also use the clear (or suitable color) windows & door caulks found in home centers and hardware stores.

I agree that Lexel can be problematic if not applied skillfully and quickly.

Unless you are very skilled at applying thin neat beads of caulk, I suggest using masking tape to protect the areas you do not want caulked.

Yes it is the seal around the window trim, sections are missing. How do I clean and with what before I apply the new seal? Where can I purchase the Geocel Proflex? Thanks for the information.

I remove the old stuff with a plastic putty knife, then wipe down with denatured alcohol. Pro flex is sometimes sold at your local hardware store too.

Geocel makes Proflex RV and most RV stores have it, as do Amazon, Ebay and various online vendors. Geocel also make just plain Proflex (no "RV" on the label) but I've never figured out any difference. Many home & hardware stores carry it.

As I said earlier, you can use any brand of window & door sealing caulk, so just check your local stores. They are all compatible with wood, metal, vinyl and fiberglass and have the expansion characteristics need for the job.

Peel and/or scrape away the old stuff and clean with mineral spirits or alcohol.

Back
Top Bottom