Size of motors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickey G

OK. This will be down and dirty.
I have been told to avoid 6.0L Ford diesels, but aftre going through a bunch of your sights, I see a lot of 6.0's being used.
So.........
What size of diesel do you run? The outcome may suprise you.
Just diesels please.
6.0 ?
6.4 ?
7,2 ?

We had around an 04 250 with the 6 lt engine. We had nothing but trouble with it under warrantee. It kept getting oil in the rad fluid. They tried to fix it several times and were unsuccessful. We traded it in before the warrantee was done.

I take it you want to talk about Fords only? My present ford is a gasser but I had an 03 dodge 5.9 diesel that I wish I still owned.

This is what some folks think is the best combination:

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1702-part-2-cumminsallison-swap-into-2001-f-250-super-duty/

Along the same lines:

http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1508-what-happens-when-a-600hp-cummins-and-an-allison-transmission-come-together-in-2004-ford-excursion/

You asked about diesel "size" but the question appears to be "which Ford diesel" and the quality of each. The 6.0 and 6.4 are essentially the same engine, derived from the Navistar Maxforce diesel, while the current 6.7L is a Ford designed and built engine.

When I had a Ford diesel, it was the 7.3L V8 Powerstroke, predecessor to the 6.0L. My last diesel coach ran an 8.9L Cummins ISL, a 6 cylinder in-line diesel.

The 6.0 is fine so long as you have $5,000 in the bank in order to bulletproof the engine.

The 6.4 was a short run "filler" engine that is known for poor fuel economy and radiator issues.

There is no "7.2" but there is a 7.3 that is a renowned work horse and great engine. It's know for its ruggedness and longevity and not so much for its horsepower.

The new 6.7 engines were a clean slate design. Early models in 2011 and 2012 had issues with exhaust valves cracking. Later models have suffered from a sensitive high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) that succumbs to water in fuel requiring it's replacement. Ford does not have a great record of honoring their warranty in the HPFP leaving owners with a bill of $12,000-$17,000 to get their truck up and running.

Since 2003.5, Ford diesel engines have been questionable at best. I drove Ford trucks for 15 years but the lack of confidence I have in them at the present time has caused me to switch to Ram and the 6.7 Cummins.

Avoid the 6.0 and 6.4. My personal choice is the 6.6 Duramax w/Allison transmission. A combo that can't be beat.

As fas as engines, I have had-
2001.5 Dodge 2500 SRW 5.9 Cummins, great engine, loved the truck
2003 5.9 Cummins, 3500 SRW, 6 speed manual, great engine, loved the truck but plagued with many many problems
2006 Ford 6.0 diesel, F-350, SRW, 150,000 miles, didn't even change a lightbulb
2012 Chevy 2500 6.0 gasser, good truck, engine was a dog, terrible fuel mileage
2015 Ford, F-350 6.7 SRW diesel, wonderful truck, engine pulled great but quirky at high loads
2016 Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax/Allison. My favorite engine/transmission combo to date

Boonieman

6.7L Cummins here - had the 5.9L in a '96 12-valve (215hp/420ft/lb torque) and it was a great motor/truck. However the 6.7L produces 385 hp/900ft/lb torque.  Towing the same fiver, there is no comparison, and I even get 1 mpg better than the 5.9 when towing.

Back
Top Bottom