Tell us what you love about your current RV!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have an RV, yet, but I am working up toward becoming an owner of a class A motorhome soon.  In some of the replies, I didn't understand what you were saying. The glossary helped with OEM and camp hosting, but I drew a blank with MCD shades, DEF, DW (although the context makes me think it means "darling wife" or something like that, your spouse?), solar suitcase, and maxxair fan.  In my research I have come across MCD shades, but never really an explanation of them.  Also someone mentioned a dome for cable, I think.  I can google these items, but just a reminder that there are those of us who are reading with great interest what you like about your RVs, but we don't know all the lingo, yet.  And finally, there were a couple of replies that mentioned some great things they liked, but didn't tell what RV they have.  I've enjoyed reading the replies, so far.  Thanks everyone.

One of the weird little things that came in my RV (and all Rexhall's ) is the TV in the bedroom is a Motel style TV,  it has an alarm function and it comes on and wakes me the morning.

I won't change it out to a HD flat screen because I love it.

We have a list of acronyms in our forum Library. However, MCD is a brand name, and DEF is diesel exhaust fluid sold at the diesel pump and at truck stop stores. Probably should add DEF to the Glossary.

Sorry Sebastian, let me help out. MCD is a company that makes roller window shades for RV's. They can be manual, or some have power lifts in them. There are a few other companies that make them as well, and usually are an upgrade to the mini blinds that come in entry level RV's.  DEF is an abbreviation for diesel exhaust fluid. It is what has been added to diesel engines since 2010. It was added to significantly reduce diesel emissions.

DW can be dear wife, or darling wife, and DH is dear husband. Solar suitcase is a folding solar panel that can be set up in the sun to help charge RV batteries when camping without AC power.  A Maxxair fan is a brand of roof exhaust roof fan put in many different RV's.

A dome usually refers to a satellite dish with a domed cover. They are often put on the roof of RV's to allow reception of satellite TV signal (Direct or Dish).  Cable  is just that, a place to hook up a coax cable at a campground to receive cable TV inside your RV.

I have suggested that the type of RV is listed in each comment, but often the poster has it listed already in their signature at the bottom of the page.  Otherwise, don't  be afraid to chime in and ask! 

After upgrading from our 1998 31' Class C without slides, we really like the extra space in the living area. We have the same opposing couch/dinette layout as the old one. Now a person can actually walk by a person sitting on the couch instead of tripping/stepping on their toes! We also have pretty good kitchen counter space now too. The gas/electric hot water tank is cool too.

Thanks so much for explaining some of the unfamiliar words I was seeing in your posts.  Makes more sense now.  This forum is helping me so much as I am doing my first search for an RV.  You should see the pile of unorganized notes I've taken, but they make sense to me.  I did a bit of shopping today and had lots of questions.  MOst of what I'm asking dealers (and owners of RVs that are for sale) are from the things I've read on here.  I'm learning a lot and I'm enjoying it, but I must say I don't look forward to switching sides on here and asking questions about all the things that go wrong with my RV...that will be another education in itself.

RVing is not just a passing fancy, done right it is an adventure.  Scary and unsettling, you bet. But once you  immerse yourself in it, it is a passion. At least it has been for me and the DW for the last 20 years.  Slow down, take a few deep breaths and realize that millions of people before you have went through the exact same thing. 

In my prior post about my KZ Durango fifth wheel.... still have it but the DW and just today purchased a brand new 378 FB 40' Sierra with a 1 and 1/2 bath. and a lot more.
Tad bit more then we wanted to spend...but hey..a little less for the nursing home.

Now the fun begins.  The mods to make really ours.  More shelves in the cabinets.  TP and towel holders, smaller safe(since we have less money).  Have to install rinse hoses on the toilets.  Since our current plan is to keep both for time being, that means one heck of a shopping trip.  I made a list out and priced everything out... Over 3 grand....  The kids always said I was hard to shop for....

Anyway, I fretted over spending this much for the past several months, now that we pulled the trigger I am a lot less stressed and looking forward to bringing our new baby home and getting ready to go to AZ for the winter    This Saturday, the inspection and walkthrough and a weekend shake down at the campground.  Monday morning it's either heading home or back to the dealer for repairs.. But talking to the sales and service staff today, I have to believe we'll be heading home smiling ear to ear.

Wi1dBi11

Attachments

• 378fb-3__large.jpg
    378fb-3__large.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 19
  • dsc_0004__large.jpg
    dsc_0004__large.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 17
My new to me fifth wheel is a 1998 Travel Supreme. It is a very high quality unit that I picked up for a song since it had sat for a few years and has some problems. What I really love is the fantastic cabinetry throughout. All beautiful solid oak. The hardware (latches, handles, hinges) are all heavy duty high quality. The RV has seen very few road miles and the RV itself has seen very little use so there is virtually no wear on the cabinets. Every single one fits, opens and closes like brand new. No warped wood at all. Reminds me of a Beaver.

One other thing that I really like on the Bus. I have remote locking storage bay doors again. I had them on a 06' Itasca back when and loved them then. Being able to lock everything at once with the push of a button is terrific. 

Wi1dBill said:
In my prior post about my KZ Durango fifth wheel.... still have it but the DW and just today purchased a brand new 378

Anyway, I fretted over spending this much for the past several months, now that we pulled the trigger I am a lot less stressed and looking forward to bringing our new baby home and getting ready to go to AZ for the winter    This Saturday, the inspection and walkthrough and a weekend shake down at the campground.  Monday morning it's either heading home or back to the dealer for repairs.. But talking to the sales and service staff today, I have to believe we'll be heading home smiling ear to ear.

Wi1dBi11

Wow bill!  That is a beautiful rig!  Hope you and your DW enjoy many trips together in it!

BIG shower, tankless water heater for those long showers, reclining couch, sliding dinette, TV that hides in the counter, storage up the ying yang, love the heat pumps, solar shades on all the windows, motorized front blind, clear vinyl on the front end, Tow Haul on the tranny, LED lights, plenty of ac outlets, bath and a half, [a must have when we bought the rig], washer and dryer, full wall slide, king size Ideal Rest bed, King Jack antenna and probably a few other items I forgot, but all in all we love this rig.

Peteyboy said:
BIG shower, tankless water heater for those long showers, reclining couch, sliding dinette, TV that hides in the counter, storage up the ying yang, love the heat pumps, solar shades on all the windows, motorized front blind, clear vinyl on the front end, Tow Haul on the tranny, LED lights, plenty of ac outlets, bath and a half, [a must have when we bought the rig], washer and dryer, full wall slide, king size Ideal Rest bed, King Jack antenna and probably a few other items I forgot, but all in all we love this rig.
We have the same floor plan as you only in an Adventurer. Love that floor plan.

SargeW said:
Beautiful rig Bill! Get us some pics of the inside when you get a chance.
Bummer.. we were going to do the pre delivery inspection/walk through tomorrow and do a shake down camp, close by over the weekend.  Well too many festivals, cars shows and other thing going on this weekend, so no room for us.  So we rescheduled for monday, isn't it great to be retired! 

More pictures of the interior.

Ordered over $1,300.00 of "STUFF" needed for the rig.  DW spent couple hundred more on sheets, some towels etc. 

I would like some thoughts on cabinets.  Some are narrow and deep, like along side the washer dryer.  I kind of believe that any thing deeper then 1 1/2 times the width is wasted because it's really hard to get to anything in the back.  These are about 6 to 8 inches wide and a good 24" deep.  Any ideas to make this more usable?

Wi1dBi11

Attachments

• dsc_0036__large.jpg
    dsc_0036__large.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 24
  • dsc_0007__large.jpg
    dsc_0007__large.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 18
  • dsc_0017__large.jpg
    dsc_0017__large.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 17
  • dsc_0019__large.jpg
    dsc_0019__large.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 14
  • dsc_0028__large.jpg
    dsc_0028__large.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 18
  • dsc_0034__large.jpg
    dsc_0034__large.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 14
  • dsc_0032__large.jpg
    dsc_0032__large.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 13
  • dsc_0018__large.jpg
    dsc_0018__large.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 14
  • dsc_0025__large.jpg
    dsc_0025__large.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 18
People said buy used for the first rig so we did. I love mine because it was cheap, it's old school with things like simple dump rods, heavy box frame, solid floor and I'm not worried about drilling holes in it or dragging branches down the side yet it still looks great.  It sat in storage for most of it's life.  I figure when I'm done with it, it will have cost about $60 a month and if we move on to a nicer one I wont make the same mistakes.

Wi1dBill said:
I would like some thoughts on cabinets.  Some are narrow and deep, like along side the washer dryer.  I kind of believe that any thing deeper then 1 1/2 times the width is wasted because it's really hard to get to anything in the back.  These are about 6 to 8 inches wide and a good 24" deep.  Any ideas to make this more usable?

Wi1dBi11
Very Nice!
You can get (maybe have to have custom built) pull-out/slide-out shelves for those narrow, deep, spaces.  Ours, in out home kitchen, were built by an Amish carpenter.
I have often thought about having the guy build some for those spaces in our MH.

Attachments

• cabinet.jpg
    cabinet.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 17
Phil-t, liked the pull out shelf idea.  I think it would need some kind of box so everything wouldn't move all over while going down the road.

Wi1dBi11

Back
Top Bottom