Tell us what you love about your current RV!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that's a great idea Tom! Let's run this one for a few more days,  and then the wish list topic!

Great input folks! I love hearing about all the special things about your rigs!

Margi triggered me to add my thoughts about the Beaver we had. The 2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Saratoga 44 (what a long name) is a 45-footer, and in most ways it was great, though we had a few problems (maintenance). Though we didn't care much for the TV that swings-down from the ceiling (it was out of the way when not in use, but awkward seating positions hurt the neck), it had many things we really like. The Aqua Hot, of course, the two stage shocks, air leveling (sure wish I had it now), the nice cabinetry, though some of the burled veneer was starting to peel a little (I'm told that was common) and the excellent ride.

Though it had only a single toilet in a small, separate room, we liked the bath arrangement, as it was a passthrough to the rear bedroom, and had two sinks with lots of cabinets (storage) in the main hall plus one sink in the room with the toilet. It was separated from both the bedroom and from the main living area/galley by pocket (sliding) doors, heavier like in a home (more sound deadening), rather than lightweight like so many RVs.

we sure liked the king-size bed (though the sleep number isn't as comfortable to us as some types) and the full width rear closet, along with the ceiling fan. A really neat feature was the lighting switches, which were basically computer controlled push buttons, that allowed multiple switches (locations) for certain lights (handy), as well as push button dimming (hold it down it dims, then brightens, release when you like it). There also was a master lighting switch which, when held down for four seconds turned off all the lights in the coach. If you held it down for ten seconds it would turn every light in the coach ON (we didn't use that very much).

In the bedroom, there was a light switch panel next to the bed which had a second copy of the master lighting switch (wonderful to be sure ALL lights were off at bedtime), a generator start/stop switch (duplicating the one in the cockpit), and there was a 5" monitor (with switching) to allow you to monitor the Aladdin system (coach monitor, engine and other things, as well as all coach cameras) from the bed, all duplicating what was in the cockpit.

And I absolutely loved the clean, orderly way the electric wiring was done, with labels on every connector, relay, fuse, etc., making it easy to trace wiring and fuses (most were in an external bay under the driver's seat), even red lights to show which fuse was bad. And the lighting modules had their own area in the rear closet. The powered generator slide was also wonderful.

The biggest single drawback was the length which sometimes made it awkward to find a place to stop in some areas (Durango to Pagosa Springs, for example), even in many towns, especially with the toad.

With so much to like, we got rid of it primarily because we wanted to downsize (we still miss a lot of things our Ventana doesn't have). We first looked at Sprinters, before deciding that was TOO small, finally settling on our current Ventana.

Without question it's the full size 30" sealed burner self cleaning gas range along with the stainless steel residential double kitchen sinks.

We love to cook and entertain and our Siena serves us well!

A couple I left out was the residential fridge I installed last year. So nice to keep ice cream frozen and the much larger capacity. The other thing is the washer/dryer combo. I've always said if my DW was given a choice between me or the combo, she's have to think about it for a few seconds.  :eek: ::) ;D  That always has me thinking and keeps me on my toes. 

There are many so many things we like about our 5er. Of course most of them were on our must have list when we were shopping or were immediately added after we bought the rig.

We love the opposing slides in living/kitchen area along with our recliners that are directly across from the large screen TV and fireplace. No awkward viewing angles like our last MH. Dinette instead of booth allowing us to put in a custom desk/dinette arrangement. Lots of kitchen cabinets, counter space and residential fridge. Laminate flooring instead of carpet except in the bedroom.

King size bed (made better after we added a sleep number mattress) full size closet and combo washer/dryer! Lots of outside storage and automatic 6 point leveling system. Automatic awning we usually like (doesn't seem as stable as manual in windy conditions).

A couple other things we've added that help us enjoy our RV- DH redid the interior steps up to bath/bedroom due to my arthritis adding a step so they were not so steep. We replaced outside steps with Torklift Revolution Glow Steps. LOVE these!! We get lots of comments on them.

And the biggest addition just 2 weeks ago, we installed 12 solar panels on the roof and have eight 6V battery bank (plus all the other solar necessities). We are still camp hosting for a few more weeks so we have not gotten to try it out yet but we can't wait to get out there and do some boondocking

Vicki

Wow Larry and Vicki, great reviews!  I think several RV'ers really put a lot of thought into their RV's and spend a lot of time and energy in making them even better! I love it!  Keep it up folks!

1. The payments are $0/month
2. It doesn't require winterizing
3. Maintenance & repair cost is zero
4. No tags or insurance to renew
5. No tire age concerns

Oh wait... I don't own an RV any more! I just pay the rent on our summer cottage and no worries!

We have a 27' travel trailer.. our second Cougar and love it.. we have king size bed, Tons of storage, full ceiling to floor closet/pantry, my one item I wanted and got was on the sides of bed, our closets are raised so we have open shelf for glasses, book, etc.. so you can open closet and still not touch items on shelf...
Not bad for our small rv camper...compared to some if yours..

It's nice to see that the manufactures are putting some thought into the TT segment of the industry. Our first TT was not that well thought out.

You would think after 20+ years I would have this quote thing figured out.  Well ... wrong! 

What I wanted to add to Gary's post about the favorite things we like about our RV is the same as he outlined except for #3.  Since we still own it, the maintenance items go on ... and on ... and on.  Also, in Oregon, we don't have tag expense if we don't move it.  We do have #4, insurance, but it is minimal compared to what we spent in prior RVing years.  Every single RV we have owned from pull trailers to motorhome to 5th wheel has been paid for.  That's how we roll ... or we don't roll at all.

You would think after 20+ years I would have this quote thing figured out.

Margi, head over to our Member Practice board and try quoting/editing/responding to any of the messages there.

One thing I forgot to mention, with no slides and big living area side windows on both sides, I can look back over my shoulders and see the roadway when merging, which is great for those times the the merging angle does not line up with the side mirrors.  It is particularly helpful getting back on a highway merging to the left, such as when pulling out from a rest area that was on the opposite side of a 2 lane highway from ones direction of travel when traveling without a co-pilot.

Yes, I have a Winnebago with a basement A/C, You lose one basement compartment, however the cooling efficiency is so much better than two roof A/C. The fact that I wear hearing aids also this makes for less noise.  Winnebago stopped making basement A/C, I think, in 2008, because owner complaints of the loss of storage area.  I can make do with a little less storage in my 36 Ft rig.

Actually Winnebago quit using basement AC units due to the introduction of DEF in diesels. 2010 was the last year for basement AC units. Although a few 2011 units still were made with basement AC's as Winnebago had some of the older chassis  still around.  Winnebago went  to roof AC's as the huge new DEF processing unit took up residency where the basement AC used to go. I had 2 Winnebago's, a 2006 and a 2010 both with basement  AC's and no DEF.  I had a 35' unit and the basement AC worked well. If you got up to 40' long and the basement AC's struggled to cool the space. Some owners decided to add a separate front AC in the bedroom, which helped a lot.

Well, I never ever thought I'd say this, but I really like my coach with slides. I also like like the ducted air with thermostat controls so the units will cycle. Much less noise when they run in auto. Too bad my DW isn't here to enjoy it too. She would have loved this coach. I have decided to keep it for at least one more year, but the hurricanes sure played havoc on my plans for after Christmas this year. 

SargeW said:
Since a lot of what gets posted are complaints and problems with with an RV, I wanted to start a thread about positive aspects of your RV. Pick out a couple of things you like about it, and tell us the year make and model.

This is so cool....  What we would change on the RV....  Actually.... wait for it..... Nothing!  After 6yrs of doing stuff, we are happy as heck!  My favorite 'mods'... changing all lights to led, removing door and wall corner to garage, solar suitcase, TV on swing-arm in bay, removing dinette for high back chairs, aircon in bedroom, maxxair fan in main cabin - cheapo but larger fans in loft and bathroom, TV in bedroom, satellite dome, power cord to truckbed & grand daddy of them all.... 220ah battery bank and inverter to run everything sans aircon!  This summer enjoyed the SRX to the max!  :)

Back
Top Bottom