EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Tell us what you love about your current RV!  (Read 2359 times)

Tom and Margi

• ---
Re: Tell us what you love about your current RV!
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2017, 10:14:05 PM »
I'll regress and report what I really loved when we still had our 36' 95 Bounder diesel with no slides.  The cupboards were reachable!  When we moved into our Monaco McKenzie fifth wheel, I couldn't reach the top shelves of the cupboards and I'm 5'8".  I also loved the walk-through bathroom in the Bounder.  When you shut both doors you had all kinds of room to step out of the shower to dry off, dress, sort dirty clothes before laundry trips, etc.  Also loved that we each had a night stand, something Monaco McK design engineers didn't think was essential.  I like to read in bed, so I did!  Gotta love those slides in the McK, though, for the extra living space.  Motorhome design has come a long way since those days, but if you're buying a "vintage" used vehicle, give these things some thought.

Mavarick

• ---
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2017, 10:53:38 PM »
Had a 36' Itasca that was great except when you were living in it for about 3-4 mo per yr. Now a 2009 43' bus, what's not to love about all the room you need! a king size bed, unlimited hot water in a full size shower, plenty of power pulling grades up a mountain pass, a power glide chassis, a real person who answers the phone at the OEM factory when you call with a question, 4 TV's with surround sound, awnings, MCD shades, 4 slides, indoor and outdoor stereos, counter space, storage space in the lower bays, 3 AC units, residential fridge, a perfect floor plan, larger storage tanks, etc, etc, certainly not a starter rig or for everyone but if it fits your lifestyle you won't regret an Allegro bus or anything made by Tiffin! Nothing is perfect but all in all once I found the best floor plan for our needs I have had the best results from a Winnie or Tiffin model.
2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43 QRP
Powerglide Chassis, 425 Cummins, Allison 6 Speed
2010 CRV - Blackhawk 2 - Air Force One
2002 Heritage Classic
Washington State

john owens

• ---
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2017, 12:45:30 AM »
Our rig is in the signature. I am a simple type person I suppose...but I really like the solid aluminum wheels and tires! I have owned two other class C's but the wheels were wimpy. Also love the full body paint on our Winnebago. Also stacked washer/dryer and the dishwasher. Feel like a King when we are "camping!"
2011 Winnebago 37F Class A  2012 Unlimited JK 2001 HD roadking  1964 Manx 1641cc buggy 1985 22'Lazy Daze Class C 2007 Chaparrel 26' deck boat..Thats all folks!!

Peggyy

• ---
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2017, 06:02:26 AM »
We love our TT especially that we have lots of storage space underneath.  Love our bath tub shower.  One thing I would like to have in my next one is an outdoor kitchen.  Or I think
I would! 
GMC Sierra 2012
2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW Travel Trailer
sweet home Alabama

blw2

• ---
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2017, 07:04:44 AM »
nice idea for a thread....

Well coming in after several days of a nor'easter dumping rain ahead of the NE quadrant of Irma coming over making for many inches of rain... NO LEAKS!  at least none that I have found!!!

We like the orientation of the sofa and dinette relative to the large TV (The TV forms the door for some of the cabinets so it's not in the way)
Lots of counter space
more interior cabinet space than we really need
oh, & I like all the good family-time memories in it!

Brad (DW + 3 kids)
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C on Ford E-450
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2017, 07:20:30 AM »
My wife insisted on a bath and a half floor plan. 2 holes, no waiting, when she was alive and if I ever get a 2.0.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Patnsuzanne

• ---
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 05:15:35 PM »
Our 27' trailer with the rear living floor plan is very well suited for the two of us. It's small enough to get into some tighter spaces, but there is enough room inside so the rare days when we're stuck inside due to weather, we're not right on top of each other.  We have a single slide that has a couch and dinette that both convert  to "beds" if we happen to have some of the grandchildren along. There is lots of storage under the couch for longer items, (broom, mop, hiking sticks, etc) and lots more storage under both dinette benches. It's a fairly light trailer at #6000 loaded so the Tundra pulls it just fine. We've made a number of mods to make it "ours" but nothing major. 
2016 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab
5.7 V8
Equalizer WD hitch
Tekonsha P3
Venture Sporttrek 27RL

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2017, 06:01:43 PM »
A great question/topic, but a tough one for me to answer simply ...
  • The 2 opposing slideouts (of 3 total) make the living area feel 'cavernous'.
  • Our remodel to replace one of the sofas with a desk and credenza (thanks to Jerry & Ardra Fitzgerald for the design).
  • The Sleep Number mattress that replaced the OEM mattresss.
  • The dining table and (4) chairs vs a booth (my back doesn't allow me to sit in a booth).
  • The 2x4 custom drawers we added below the hanging clothes in the rear closet.
  • The 8-air bag Roadmaster chassis with the 'floating H' front sub-chassis (no longer available).
  • The 10,000 lb towing capacity.
Marty, maybe we also need a 'wish we had this feature' topic.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:08:58 PM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2017, 06:55:16 PM »
If you start a new wish list topic, I could start it off with "wish I had Marty and Diane's new rig".   :)

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2017, 07:29:38 PM »
 ;D

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2017, 08:24:57 PM »
I think that's a great idea Tom! Let's run this one for a few more days,  and then the wish list topic!

Great input folks! I love hearing about all the special things about your rigs!
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2017, 09:18:39 PM »
Margi triggered me to add my thoughts about the Beaver we had. The 2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Saratoga 44 (what a long name) is a 45-footer, and in most ways it was great, though we had a few problems (maintenance). Though we didn't care much for the TV that swings-down from the ceiling (it was out of the way when not in use, but awkward seating positions hurt the neck), it had many things we really like. The Aqua Hot, of course, the two stage shocks, air leveling (sure wish I had it now), the nice cabinetry, though some of the burled veneer was starting to peel a little (I'm told that was common) and the excellent ride.

Though it had only a single toilet in a small, separate room, we liked the bath arrangement, as it was a passthrough to the rear bedroom, and had two sinks with lots of cabinets (storage) in the main hall plus one sink in the room with the toilet. It was separated from both the bedroom and from the main living area/galley by pocket (sliding) doors, heavier like in a home (more sound deadening), rather than lightweight like so many RVs.

we sure liked the king-size bed (though the sleep number isn't as comfortable to us as some types) and the full width rear closet, along with the ceiling fan. A really neat feature was the lighting switches, which were basically computer controlled push buttons, that allowed multiple switches (locations) for certain lights (handy), as well as push button dimming (hold it down it dims, then brightens, release when you like it). There also was a master lighting switch which, when held down for four seconds turned off all the lights in the coach. If you held it down for ten seconds it would turn every light in the coach ON (we didn't use that very much).

In the bedroom, there was a light switch panel next to the bed which had a second copy of the master lighting switch (wonderful to be sure ALL lights were off at bedtime), a generator start/stop switch (duplicating the one in the cockpit), and there was a 5" monitor (with switching) to allow you to monitor the Aladdin system (coach monitor, engine and other things, as well as all coach cameras) from the bed, all duplicating what was in the cockpit.

And I absolutely loved the clean, orderly way the electric wiring was done, with labels on every connector, relay, fuse, etc., making it easy to trace wiring and fuses (most were in an external bay under the driver's seat), even red lights to show which fuse was bad. And the lighting modules had their own area in the rear closet. The powered generator slide was also wonderful.

The biggest single drawback was the length which sometimes made it awkward to find a place to stop in some areas (Durango to Pagosa Springs, for example), even in many towns, especially with the toad.

With so much to like, we got rid of it primarily because we wanted to downsize (we still miss a lot of things our Ventana doesn't have). We first looked at Sprinters, before deciding that was TOO small, finally settling on our current Ventana.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Bill and Debbie

• ---
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2017, 11:58:12 PM »
Without question it's the full size 30" sealed burner self cleaning gas range along with the stainless steel residential double kitchen sinks.

We love to cook and entertain and our Siena serves us well!
William Bonsell
Poulsbo, WA

2010 CT Coachworks Siena 35V
1999 Cherokee Sport with Roadmaster Falcon 5250

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2017, 05:17:00 AM »
A couple I left out was the residential fridge I installed last year. So nice to keep ice cream frozen and the much larger capacity. The other thing is the washer/dryer combo. I've always said if my DW was given a choice between me or the combo, she's have to think about it for a few seconds.   :o ::) ;D  That always has me thinking and keeps me on my toes. 
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

shorts

• ---
  • Exploring the USA!
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2017, 11:42:55 AM »
There are many so many things we like about our 5er. Of course most of them were on our must have list when we were shopping or were immediately added after we bought the rig.

We love the opposing slides in living/kitchen area along with our recliners that are directly across from the large screen TV and fireplace. No awkward viewing angles like our last MH. Dinette instead of booth allowing us to put in a custom desk/dinette arrangement. Lots of kitchen cabinets, counter space and residential fridge. Laminate flooring instead of carpet except in the bedroom.

King size bed (made better after we added a sleep number mattress) full size closet and combo washer/dryer! Lots of outside storage and automatic 6 point leveling system. Automatic awning we usually like (doesn't seem as stable as manual in windy conditions).

A couple other things we've added that help us enjoy our RV- DH redid the interior steps up to bath/bedroom due to my arthritis adding a step so they were not so steep. We replaced outside steps with Torklift Revolution Glow Steps. LOVE these!! We get lots of comments on them.

And the biggest addition just 2 weeks ago, we installed 12 solar panels on the roof and have eight 6V battery bank (plus all the other solar necessities). We are still camp hosting for a few more weeks so we have not gotten to try it out yet but we can't wait to get out there and do some boondocking

Vicki

Vicki and Mark Shorter
2015 Forrest River Blue Ridge RS3600 5er
2015 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 4wd
On the road fulltime!

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2017, 04:31:14 PM »
Wow Larry and Vicki, great reviews!  I think several RV'ers really put a lot of thought into their RV's and spend a lot of time and energy in making them even better! I love it!  Keep it up folks!
Marty--

grooving grandpa

• ---
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2017, 05:12:21 PM »
Two things, It's paid for and 2nd the basement A/C. v.s. the roof A/C

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2017, 07:22:36 AM »
Two things, It's paid for and 2nd the basement A/C. v.s. the roof A/C

You must have a Winnebago?
Marty--

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2017, 11:59:08 AM »
1. The payments are $0/month
2. It doesn't require winterizing
3. Maintenance & repair cost is zero
4. No tags or insurance to renew
5. No tire age concerns

Oh wait... I don't own an RV any more! I just pay the rent on our summer cottage and no worries!
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Memtb

• ---
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2017, 04:31:18 PM »

Gary, I hope you like your location.... it will be a little difficult to change locations!    ;)
Todd and Marianne
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

tanglemoose

• ---
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »
We have a 27' travel trailer.. our second Cougar and love it.. we have king size bed, Tons of storage, full ceiling to floor closet/pantry, my one item I wanted and got was on the sides of bed, our closets are raised so we have open shelf for glasses, book, etc.. so you can open closet and still not touch items on shelf...
Not bad for our small rv camper...compared to some if yours..
Donna and Mark
and our Golden Lexie
New 2017 TT Keystone Cougar  Same model... but NEW Features!
2015 Keystone Cougar 1/2 Ton Series, 21rbswe, 26'
2013 Toyota Tundra
Living in Cold Montana Country.....

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2017, 09:55:47 PM »
It's nice to see that the manufactures are putting some thought into the TT segment of the industry. Our first TT was not that well thought out.
Marty--

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2017, 10:25:45 PM »
You would think after 20+ years I would have this quote thing figured out.  Well ... wrong! 

What I wanted to add to Gary's post about the favorite things we like about our RV is the same as he outlined except for #3.  Since we still own it, the maintenance items go on ... and on ... and on.  Also, in Oregon, we don't have tag expense if we don't move it.  We do have #4, insurance, but it is minimal compared to what we spent in prior RVing years.  Every single RV we have owned from pull trailers to motorhome to 5th wheel has been paid for.  That's how we roll ... or we don't roll at all.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:30:13 PM by Tom and Margi »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2017, 03:51:49 AM »
You would think after 20+ years I would have this quote thing figured out.

Margi, head over to our Member Practice board and try quoting/editing/responding to any of the messages there.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2017, 02:09:13 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention, with no slides and big living area side windows on both sides, I can look back over my shoulders and see the roadway when merging, which is great for those times the the merging angle does not line up with the side mirrors.  It is particularly helpful getting back on a highway merging to the left, such as when pulling out from a rest area that was on the opposite side of a 2 lane highway from ones direction of travel when traveling without a co-pilot.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

grooving grandpa

• ---
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2017, 04:58:17 PM »
Yes, I have a Winnebago with a basement A/C, You lose one basement compartment, however the cooling efficiency is so much better than two roof A/C. The fact that I wear hearing aids also this makes for less noise.  Winnebago stopped making basement A/C, I think, in 2008, because owner complaints of the loss of storage area.  I can make do with a little less storage in my 36 Ft rig.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2017, 07:46:03 PM »
Actually Winnebago quit using basement AC units due to the introduction of DEF in diesels. 2010 was the last year for basement AC units. Although a few 2011 units still were made with basement AC's as Winnebago had some of the older chassis  still around.  Winnebago went  to roof AC's as the huge new DEF processing unit took up residency where the basement AC used to go. I had 2 Winnebago's, a 2006 and a 2010 both with basement  AC's and no DEF.  I had a 35' unit and the basement AC worked well. If you got up to 40' long and the basement AC's struggled to cool the space. Some owners decided to add a separate front AC in the bedroom, which helped a lot.
Marty--

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2017, 12:32:28 AM »
Well, I never ever thought I'd say this, but I really like my coach with slides. I also like like the ducted air with thermostat controls so the units will cycle. Much less noise when they run in auto. Too bad my DW isn't here to enjoy it too. She would have loved this coach. I have decided to keep it for at least one more year, but the hurricanes sure played havoc on my plans for after Christmas this year. 
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

jje1960

• ---
  • Jim
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »
Since a lot of what gets posted are complaints and problems with with an RV, I wanted to start a thread about positive aspects of your RV. Pick out a couple of things you like about it, and tell us the year make and model.

This is so cool....  What we would change on the RV....  Actually.... wait for it..... Nothing!  After 6yrs of doing stuff, we are happy as heck!  My favorite 'mods'... changing all lights to led, removing door and wall corner to garage, solar suitcase, TV on swing-arm in bay, removing dinette for high back chairs, aircon in bedroom, maxxair fan in main cabin - cheapo but larger fans in loft and bathroom, TV in bedroom, satellite dome, power cord to truckbed & grand daddy of them all.... 220ah battery bank and inverter to run everything sans aircon!  This summer enjoyed the SRX to the max!  :)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 05:35:51 PM by Sun2Retire »
Jim
2011 Ford F350 DRW 6.7 Diesel
2011 Cougar SRX

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2017, 06:12:01 PM »
That's excellent Jim! Isn't great when the perfect RV is the one you already have!
Marty--

Hosted by Over The Network