Maiden Voyage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray D

Well, maiden voyage for the whole shebang - as a whole - so to speak. Took the conglomerate to Three Island Crossing State Park. This was the first trip, for real, for the combination of vehicles that you helped us figure out, find, and buy.

The motor home has been out camping alone. (Well, we were in it.) The Suzuki toad has been driving around town, used as a family car.  And, the little red scooters have been around town, to the grocery store, other errands, events, etc, and have visited the city parks and Greenbelt.

We were invited by BIL & SIL to a charity wine tasting event at the Carmela Winery, in Glenn?s Ferry, next door to our favorite, Three Island Crossing State Park. Good test for the ?virgin? system!

Thursday morning, bright and early, we load the scooters into the toad. Well, mostly. Had other things loaded, that hadn?t been, before, and a couple of pieces had to load into the motorhome.  :( Broke a finger nail.  :'( Smashed a finger. Small cut on the back of my hand.  :'( (From the latch, on the storage bay door.) Been fighting bursitis in my right shoulder for weeks!  :'( Gotterdone!

Took longer than expected!

Next, hook up the toad. I had done this before. Actually, more correctly, I had watched the ?show me guy? do it, when they installed it. Yep, I had said, ?I can do that.?  ;D Most of it was easy. Re-read the manual. The hook up, for the ?break away? cable to the motorhome, had us buffaloed. Finally got that figured out.  ::) Pinched my finger, - - - - - - - I?m not telling that part. Gotterdone!

First time installing the Even Brake - - went at it slowly - deliberately.  8) Followed the directions, exactly. Piece o? cake! I had read the manual, four times. I had seen it done. I had even read the ?What Can Go Wrong? part, four times. I had that down ?pat.?  8)

Left town, three hours behind schedule. But, who keeps a schedule, for fun? Drove like a dream, with Dani driving, to the Stage Stop, where we had a delicious lunch.  ;D She was tired, so I drove from there. Well, she was nursing some wounds, you know, bruises - pinches - small punctures and broken nails. (I?m not supposed to detail those.  :mad: )

The trip from there, to the park, was beautiful, fun, scenic, cold and very windy. Well, nearly to the park. Almost to the park. Had a good time!

Less than half a mile to go - I could see the park - all Hell broke loose! (Sorry about the expletive. It is appropriate!) HELLO! THERE?S SOMETHING WRONG!  :eek:

In another thread, some time ago, we discussed hearing/deafness and hearing aids, etc. Folks, I am not quite stone deaf! Almost! I can?t hear sirens, until they are close. I can?t hear smoke alarms, at all. I can?t hear - - - - - !!

I COULD HEAR THAT EVEN BRAKE ALARM, JUST FINE!  :eek:

Man, for such a little box, that is loud! I could see it, too, with red lights flashing, left and right. In case I wasn?t aware of those, I could hear Dani yelling something about the brakes! In case I missed any of that, Jasper was bellowing and roaring. There is DEFINITELY SOMETHING WRONG! And, a message was flashing - parading across the screen. Something like - ?WARNING - WARNING - EVEN BRAKE FAILURE. I thought the ?problems? I had read, in the manual, had said that it would flash ?BREAKAWAY!?

Glanced at the rear view video screen. Toad was still there, just fine, or looked that way. I was doing 25, the speed limit on that back road. Pulled over to the side - sweating - relieved. I MADE IT! Toad still looked fine, on the screen. Gee, glad that didn?t happen on the Interstate!

Even Brake was half in - half out - of the driver?s seat. Doesn?t belong there!  ::) Supposed to be on the floor! That?s where I put it!

Remembered reading about that.  Called ?Climbing The Seat? in the problems/solutions part of the manual. I remembered that! Would re-read the manual, later, after I get to the park. Reinstalled the Even Brake on the floor, where it belongs. Made it to the park, and checked in.

Cold - little rain - super windy. Took the dogs for a run on the Little Red Scooters. Laid down for a nap. Best sleep I have had in quite a while.  ;D Woke up, ate, took the dogs for another jaunt on the scooters.  Went to bed. Great sleep! Great time! Not what I expected, but pretty good first day.  ;D

Most of the first day was sleep, pretty dog-gone good sleep!

OH, and if you have an Even Brake, take the floor mat out of the driver?s side floor. Even Brake doesn?t like floor mats, one bit!  ::) Floor-mats irritate it! Makes it ?climb the seat!?

They could make a lot of money, if they would patent that alarm and sell it to folks who can?t hear ordinary alarms! Man - I could hear that one, loud and clear!

Ray D.  ;D

Ray, Glad you made it safe and sound.  We always say how well we sleep in the motorhome.  I'm not sure what it is about that LOL.  ;D.  There's nothing like staying in your own motorhome.

Enjoy and good luck with the new rig.

JoAnn

Ray,
Good story.  Got a good chuckle thinking about the moments when we thought all was well and ka boom a new RV adventure!  May they all have happy endings and keep your stories coming they are so well written!Betty

Isn't RVing fun? and exciting, too! Glad everything worked out ok, the dogs got a nice run and you got a nice nap.

Enjoy
Wendy

Ray,

Loved your story!  Thanks for the chuckles.  I could picture the whole adventure - which is only the first of many.  Some are easy, some are hard, some of fun, some are not-so-fun, some are nice, some are bad, but ALL are interesting.  Hope you have a blast on this maiden voyage.  When we're all together like at Quartzsite or Moab, we all talk about things we're going to do when we get home.  So get that list started and join the crowd!  ;)

ArdraF

Woke up Friday morning, 6:30. Nice inside - dry - comfortable - 68*. I like to sit and sip coffee, without waking the wife and dogs. Open a couple of shades, just a little, to look at the scenery, outside. Bliss! You don?t get this, in Boise!  ;D

Park is about 1/3 full. More than we are used to.

Jasper came out, around 7 AM, stretching. Need to move a little bit. Get into pants, and take the Boxer outside. Back, immediately. Mid 30s, strong wind. Put on winter jacket and back out, again. Had to take Hoover out, too. At least, he gets down to business and gets it done, so he can go back inside. Smart dog!

Late morning, give the toad a workout. Took it into Glenn?s Ferry for a close up tour. Loved it! Been through there in the MH, but no place to stop. It?s a little town with narrow streets, no place to park. Had lunch. Stopped at the Fudge Factory. Very interesting little curio shop. Ate lunch.

Oh, and just as we got to the RR Tracks, the gate went down. An old fashioned steam locomotive pulling an old passenger train went through, westbound.  :eek: It was the Union Pacific. It was pouring black coal smoke into the sky and blowing that steam whistle! What a sight! worth the trip, right there!!  ;D

Toad passed with flying colors. It?s definitely worthwhile! Glad we have it!

Found out it was a big ?to-do? with the town. It goes through once a year and they get advanced notice. They were all out, watching and waving. It will be on display there, for an anniversary in 2008. They are getting set for a big deal! Wish I knew more about it. I?d get reservations at the park! I have a hunch that's going to be quite an event!

Home, again, took the dogs for a spin. At some point, flying along at max speed, Jasper decides to go the other direction, suddenly. Just took off to the rear. The force of the leash hitting max, between the 65 lb Boxer and the Little Red Scooter, even slowing down. Just about dis-armed me. Since then, can?t get either arm above my shoulder. Hurts!!! Right arm has bursitis. Left has dog-itis. Bad JuJu!

Needed a nap! Great place to sleep! Crashed and burned. Very nice. Soft! Blissful!

SOMETHING IS VERY WRONG!  :eek: SCREAMING - SHRIEKING - BARKING - BELLOWING! HOLY SMOKE!  :eek:

Got out of bed, on the run! Dani is looking out the window. ?What?s wrong, Dani??

?Kids and dogs,? she replied, ?and they are under the motorhome!?

?Huh? Why??  Sure enough, several kids came out from under the motorhome, carrying and or leading dogs. In the hour or so I slept, the park filled up. Looked like a grade school playground! Hundreds of kids, hundreds of dogs, all at that time trailing leashes, with kids in hot pursuit!

Soon, all the kids and dogs were attached by leashes. I watched. They were good kids, a lot of them. Pleased to see good kids. A bit trying, to see so many, so loud! Hey, it?s early afternoon, Ray! They just landed after a long boring road trip. Give them a break!

Soon, the dogs pulled their leashes, again, and the chase was on, again. It?s like watching dominoes! One gets loose, excites others, chaos! All of them are loose! Interesting. (Ummmm, did I see several kids release their dogs, so they could get in on the excitement?)  ::) Decided to take the toad downtown, for a while.  :-\

Stopped at the Carmela Winery, on the way home, for an early dinner and wine tasting - free! Sat on the patio, overlooking the golf course. Just warm enough to tolerate. Just shielded enough not to blow away.  :D Great sandwiches. Great wine and quite a variety - and the price is right. Free wine, for a while. Bought the last glass. That was enough! Still had to drive a couple of blocks to the campsite! Two twenties covered dinner for two, all the wine we wanted, and a generous tip. Took more than half of it home. Another twenty would have upgraded us to steaks.

Kids had quieted down to a tolerable level. Sure were a lot of them - hundreds! (OK, more than one hundred!) Took the Little Red Scooters and the dogs for a spin. (Did that several times, that evening.) Good time! Kids liked the scooters. Dogs kept their distance, from Jasper. He was very well behaved.

Well - he did his ?Boxer Prance? a few times, when a rogue dog would come out in a charge. They always broke off, sometimes with a frantic owner trying to corral them. Most were small dogs, and he is a wuss with small dogs! Hoover can whip him, any day of the week!

High wind. Cold - blowing, outside. Watched ?Batteries Not Included.? good movie.  End of Friday.

Left the scooters out, overnight, every night. No problems. Parked them under a slide, in case of rain.

Ray D  ;D

Ray,

I can already see that you're going to have some interesting trips.  ;)

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom