Generator switch on dash.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raidmagic

Ok need some pointers here. I have the dash button to start the generator but it doesn't do anything. I can start the generator at the generator with that switch. Can someone tell me what wires go to the dash switch so I can start trouble shooting? It's a 2007 Georgetown by Forest River. It's on a Ford chassis. I guess first things first I'm going to pull the switch and test it to make sure it works then I'll move on to chasing the wiring.

Thanks

My 2000 Winnebago had an Onan 5000 gas genny. It had three switches to start it. One on the dash, one on the control panel, and one on the genny itself. It would only start with the switch on the genny. After testing all the wires and switches, it was determined that the circuit board on the genny was shot. If I remember correctly, the circuit board was around 500 dollars. This was what my problem was, might not be yours. Good luck.

There is a plug in connector on the generator for remote start/stop. Find the connector, unplug and clean the pins. Some times a slight bend of the pins will help with the connection.

I had a similar problem on our previous coach, and I traced it to a corroded butt connector located about a foot away from the plug connection at the generator. It was tucked away inside a plastic wire loom. In my case, I could shut the generator off from inside, but not start it. Only the one wire was separated, but I redid all the connections anyway, sealing them with silicone seal and shrink tubing. I checked for similar connections on our current coach and found similar connectors, but they had been taped and were still in good shape. I resealed them anyway...

I think Rich and Dutch are right on the money here! (hello Rich, hope all is well with you guys) Usually there is a loom on the passenger side of the genset that has a large loop in the wiring with the connector at the bottom of the loop so it collects rain water etc. Pull the connector apart and clean it up to see if that make a difference. Best of luck with it.

Are your house batteries on line, meaning that the connect switch is on?

My first MH a 93 Fleetwood did the same thing.... first thing to do is make sure your getting 12v to the switch and then your getting 12v out of the switch. If you are then you need to see if your getting power to the Gen from the switch to start. Mine would go to the  board but not out of the connector so I cut the wire and bypassed the connector rather than buy a new board.

Thanks for the tips. I haven't had a change to play with it yet. After dealing with the Hurricane and coming through it in good shape we had a normal thunderstorm that struck the house and blew up a lot of things. Hopefully I can play with it this week and I'll report back.

CGmartin, yes the house batteries are on. I've found it wouldn't start with the panel by the generator unless they were. Thanks

Mavarick said:
I think Rich and Dutch are right on the money here! (hello Rich, hope all is well with you guys) Usually there is a loom on the passenger side of the genset that has a large loop in the wiring with the connector at the bottom of the loop so it collects rain water etc. Pull the connector apart and clean it up to see if that make a difference. Best of luck with it.

All is well in Beautiful Downtown Gladstone, MO. Just finished up installing a new pinion seal in the ol Bounder. Don't want to oil up the desert SW this winter. Doc changed my meds a few weeks ago and I feel great! Now where's that Polar Bear I'm supposed to hug? What's up with you?

Raidmagic, were you able to get your start button to work? Does your set up have two buttons? My motorhome has two buttorns.  I have to hold one button with my left hand that ties the batteries, while I press the second button with my right hand to start the generator. Does yours work like that?

cgmartin said:
Raidmagic, were you able to get your start button to work? Does your set up have two buttons? My motorhome has two buttorns.  I have to hold one button with my left hand that ties the batteries, while I press the second button with my right hand to start the generator. Does yours work like that?

That's not a normal operating mode. Do you have your battery disconnect switch turned on? The remote generator switch is entirely independent of anything except the connection to the generator and sometimes to a ground point. Your situation sounds more like the generator is not getting starting power from the coach batteries, but connecting the engine battery to it is working. Certainly something is wrong somewhere...

I had a generac on my last motor home.  There was a three position switch on the generator.  Unless the switch was in the right position you could not start the generator with the remote switch. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom