Bathroom Mold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kheren

Hi, so the last 2 winters we've gotten mold in the corners of the bathroom/shower-condensation gets horrible. This year we will have a dehumidifier...but I cannot seem to get rid of the mold stains. I believe it's killed, but the marks are driving me nuts. Do I just paint over it? I've used everything known to man. I think...any advice is appreciated.

This is taking a chance, but if you're planning to paint over it anyway, chlorine is worth considering. I've successfully used a mild chlorine solution to spray onto fungal stains, and they disappear after after a few applications depending on how bad the stain is. A spray bottle gets the solution into every nook and cranny.

The only thing is that chlorine is a powerful oxidizing agent and will bleach fabrics, so exercising care is essential.

pz said:
This is taking a chance, but if you're planning to paint over it anyway, chlorine is worth considering. I've successfully used a mild chlorine solution to spray onto fungal stains, and they disappear after after a few applications depending on how bad the stain is. A spray bottle gets the solution into every nook and cranny.

The only thing is that chlorine is a powerful oxidizing agent and will bleach fabrics, so exercising care is essential.
This may be a dumb question, but chlorine for pools? And will that definitely cause me to need paint? I'd rather avoid painting, but if it doesn't come off I will. Thank you

Are you talking about the shower insert or the actual wall? I finally got over my fear of using bleach products in the camper and the Clorox brand mold and mildew remover does amazing things for my shower without harming it. Worth a try.

rvannie23 said:
Are you talking about the shower insert or the actual wall? I finally got over my fear of using bleach products in the camper and the Clorox brand mold and mildew remover does amazing things for my shower without harming it. Worth a try.
Both actually, in shower and on bathroom walls, corners only. I've used bleach a gazzilion times, still stained. Even got some fancy bathroom mold/mildew remover from Home Depot. Nope...it's no longer growing, just ugly. I may need paint:/

Kheren said:
This may be a dumb question, but chlorine for pools? And will that definitely cause me to need paint? I'd rather avoid painting, but if it doesn't come off I will. Thank you

No, plain Chlorox bleach has worked for my stains - shame it has not worked for you. I've had luck using Chlorox on everything from the bathroom to the underside of the awnings - turns them crisp white again.

Try distilled white vinegar.

http://blacktoxicmolds.com/vinegar-kill-mold.php

kdbgoat said:
Try distilled white vinegar.

http://blacktoxicmolds.com/vinegar-kill-mold.php
Yep, tried that too. Lol Maybe it's the type of material on the walls I don't know. Thank you though
pz said:
No, plain Chlorox bleach has worked for my stains - shame it has not worked for you. I've had luck using Chlorox on everything from the bathroom to the underside of the awnings - turns them crisp white again.
Yes I was surprised bleach will not work, that stuff kills everything.

Kheren said:
Yep, tried that too. Lol Maybe it's the type of material on the walls I don't know. Thank you though Yes I was surprised bleach will not work, that stuff kills everything.

How about 3% hydrogen peroxide?

Bleach isn't very effective in killing mold on a porous surface, as it doesn't penetrate well. Borax is a good alternative.

Try Bleach water. Now, test a small patch but use like 1:1 bleach and water. LOTS of ventelation (have a fan on you) when using it, at this concentration it is dangerous. Wear gloves.

But it will take out most mold.

If you want to try something safer first (Still use the fan) Clorox spray cleaner with bleach.

John From Detroit said:
Try Bleach water. Now, test a small patch but use like 1:1 bleach and water. LOTS of ventelation (have a fan on you) when using it, at this concentration it is dangerous. Wear gloves.

But only on a solid surface.

HappyWanderer said:
Bleach isn't very effective in killing mold on a porous surface, as it doesn't penetrate well. Borax is a good alternative.
kdbgoat said:
How about 3% hydrogen peroxide?
Now there's 2 things I have not tried!! Maybe this will work!! Borax and or peroxide!! Thank you!!
John From Detroit said:

If you want to try something safer first (Still use the fan) Clorox spray cleaner with bleach.

Did not work straight or diluted nor did chlorox spray cleaner:(
I'm on to peroxide and then borax next. Haha. I've also used comet, baking soda/vinegar along with the 100 things I've already listed. Thank you all

I'm a very detailed clean freak so this makes my OCD go crazy.

Hydrogen peroxide works well on organic stuff, like blood and even live yeasts and molds, but if the discoloration is simply from staining (and the actual mold is gone), I doubt it will be very effective in removing the color. I hope I'm wrong though. Let us know.
Bob

pz said:

Clorox turned my awning dirty spots yellow.  Is there a secret to getting it all the way white again?

prfcdoc said:
Hydrogen peroxide works well on organic stuff, like blood and even live yeasts and molds, but if the discoloration is simply from staining (and the actual mold is gone), I doubt it will be very effective in removing the color. I hope I'm wrong though. Let us know.
Bob
Thanks. I'll post my results, I thought I had some around but I don't, I'll try this weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom