Opinions needed for a future truck purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickey G

Im looking at a 2005 F350 2wd DRW crew cab with a v10 6.8L and 126,957 miles.
I will be pulling a 30' 5th wheel 3-4 times a season to local rv parks within 80 miles away?
Other than that, it will be my daily driver, but I dont drive a lot being on the disability list.
I dont have to go to work or anything like that.
Should I look into this truck, or is the mileage too hi for a V10 gas motor?

That V-10, if it has been taken care of should last at least 250,00 miles. I have a Ford 4.6 in my work truck that's getting ready to roll over 270,000 miles. Oil gets changed every 5000 miles. It uses no oil in between changes. 

I have a 2007 F250 4X4 with the V-10 that I pull a 31 foot Denali fifth wheel and it does an excellent job. That being said I purchased the truck with 99K miles from the original owner and  it had all of the maintenance records. If the truck you are looking at does not have any records I think I would pass with that mileage. You can also do a Carfax and you can probably get some maintenance information. Just a side note be prepared to get 6 to 7 mpg towing and 12 mpg not. The V-10 has good power and torque but has a problem passing a gas station LOL. My truck has the 38 gallon tank which does give some distance before refueling.

I would love to see some maintenance records, but lack of records would not be a deal killer for me.  That truck should be more than sufficient for your needs! But nobody complained about too much truck!  Personally, my concern would be trim level and options to fit my needs.  With that big of a truck, you will need that handicap tag to park anywhere near a building!  I have a F350 SRW, and I really appreciate those larger handicap spaces!!

The lack of maintenance records would not be a deal breaker if the price is right. With that mileage the spark plugs should have been changed, transmission serviced, rear end serviced, radiator service a couple times and brakes shocks front end components just to name a few. With no records you do not know how truck was maintained and should assume this has not been done and adjust the price accordingly. Example spark plug change is $550 plugs and wires.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom