Hampton Roads Tunnels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeNNRV

Planning a trip for the spring to the Hampton Roads area of Virginia.  Tried to get information from the Va DOT website without success.
?Can I pull a travel trailer through the tunnels?  Am I allowed to have full propane tanks as I drive through these tunnels?

Any suggestions for reliable data would be appreciated

RV trailers with propane systems are allowed, but you have to stop and let the tunnel authority verify your propane tanks are turned off before entering the tunnel.

We go through the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel all the time.  Matter of fact we will be towing through the HRBT to the north tomorrow.  The HRBT has a pull off at each approach, with signs ahead of time. You can shut the bottles off in the inspection area.  Sometimes they will come out and watch you turn the bottles off, but if they are off already I have never had them check...you just signal that the bottles are off and they wave you through. The HRBT inspection area heading south to Virginia Beach is kind of dangerous.  There is a ramp that feeds traffic right through the inspection area.  It comes down from your right just behind you.  Before pulling away from the check station be sure to look back over your right shoulder for fast traffic coming off that ramp.  There is no toll on the HRBT.  Here is a tip:  Heading south to the HRBT, when you see the first inspection station sign get in the center lane.  The right lane will be forced off onto another highway just before the inspection station pull off and you will be in the right lane then for the inspection pull off.  If you get in the right lane when you see the first inspection station sign you will have a fight to not get forced off.

The 17 mile Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is a toll bridge.  There is no inspection station.  You just pull up to pay the toll and they ask if your propane bottles are off.

Going Southbound to the Bay Bridge/tunnel, there is a small pull off for an "overlook type area. It's just before the bridge that will take you to Fisherman's island. There is a welcome center on the northbound side before you get to that pull off that's easily accessible. You can also overnight at the welcome center. If northbound, I think there is an exit off Rt 13 to go to the employees parking lot that may be accessible, but I don't know for sure. It may be hard to get turned around there if you do get in.

If northbound, one can pull off in the welcome center I mentioned above.

If southbound, there is a truck plaza about 5 miles down Rt 13 after you get off the bridge.
I'm talking about the Bay Bridge/Tunnel, not Hampton Roads Tunnel.

On Rt 64, there are inspection stations in each direction where you can turn off the propane. East bound after the tunnel, take exit 272. There's a marina there with enough room to pull over and turn around. I haven't found any good spot westbound on Rt 64 to turn propane back on though.

Last night I was trying the Good Sam's Trip Planner with the RV Notifications "On."  No alerts showed for propane restrictions at these tunnels.
I trust the comments here, so this is just FYI for any reader.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom