Warning! Blue Ox owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have always used locked pins that require a key to remove. It eliminates someone playing a 'joke' on me. It also provides positive engagement. If the lock is still on the pin, I know I'm good.

Good suggestion Michael. I have the same situation with tow pins.

I too used lynch pins up until this spring when I nearly lost my Wrangler. One of the pins had decided to jump for freedom leaving the Jeep with only one attachment. Good thing we were in a position to be able to pull over and get things back in order. I now use bolts with nylock nuts instead of any type of pin. Yes - it takes a minute longer to fix or remove but I am now quit confident that everything will be in place at the end of the day.

Corky

I too used lynch pins up until ... One of the pins had decided to jump for freedom leaving the Jeep with only one attachment.

Corky, I believe that's the first report I've seen about a lynch pin coming off. A good reminder that nothing is foolproof.

Bill N said:
When you say 'lynch pins' are you talking about the pin that goes through the clevis and has a circular spring loaded loop on the end that flips over to hold it in place?  If so that is the style that I have and lost one.  Now I just loop that little stretch cord with the ball through the loop and then around the whole connection and snap the ball into the loop to hold it all in place.  I am making it sound more complicated than it really it. BUT, like you Stephen, I still check those clevis pin connections at every stop.

Bill

I'd get a couple of replacement lynch pins instead of relying on a bungee cord to hold the clevis pin in place.  They're available at any well stocked hardware store.

After reading the experiences of the respondents I have switched to locking hitch pins. I already had several in my shop so the switch over was painless.

Lou Schneider said:
I'd get a couple of replacement lynch pins instead of relying on a bungee cord to hold the clevis pin in place.  They're available at any well stocked hardware store.

Think you misread my post or I phrased it poorly.  The bungee cords are holding the lynch pins closed - not the clevis pins but they do hold the whole shebang together the way I have them threaded.  I also carry a spare set of lynch pins.

John Beard said:
After reading the experiences of the respondents I have switched to locking hitch pins. I already had several in my shop so the switch over was painless.

Many of those locking pins can be defeated with as little as a single hammer blow or just popping the locks off with a large screwdriver. Personally, I'd rather be able to disconnect my toad quickly if needed...

NY_Dutch said:
Many of those locking pins can be defeated with as little as a single hammer blow or just popping the locks off with a large screwdriver. Personally, I'd rather be able to disconnect my toad quickly if needed...

I thought about an emergency disconnect too, so I bought a couple of hitch pins this morning that I hope is the best of both worlds. It is a 5/8" x 3 1/2" hitch pin with lynch pins attached by a small chain to the pin itself. It will be difficult losing the lynch pin, and if installed correctly should serve me well for a few years.

I've been using the same pins and clips for about 5 years on various towing platforms. I am not an expert on metallurgy but it seemed prudent to replace the used pins.

Before this topic came up here in the forum I was asking myself questions about the pins and clips, and their reliability over the long term. 

Funny how nobody, after the first post, has had experience or knowledge of their pins shearing off. Maybe BlueOx isn't so bad after all?

Our set up is 10+ years old, except for a different tow plate due to buying a different car. Certainly pins can be popped off, drop off etc, but break off?

The last trip i had an emergency stop where it bent the 2" tubing on the ready brake and the blue ox system was not hurt. Ready fixed it with no problem.

BRex said:
Funny how nobody, after the first post, has had experience or knowledge of their pins shearing off. Maybe BlueOx isn't so bad after all?

That's why the BlueOx guy on the phone asked him if he had any pieces of the broken pin.

A sheared pin never really happens.  lost pin,  yes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom