How do I remove glue from a removed decal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I just removed a decal off the side of my RV. It was about 6" Wide and maybe 4' Long. I used a decal removal eraser on my corded drill. Took maybe 1 hour. Not bad. I had tried a heat gun with a plastic razor blade and that didn't touch it. The decal was baked on. The only problem I have now is getting the glue residue off. Any ideas. I tried Goo Off and that didn't work. Tried Brake Cleaner and that did not work. Any ideas. I'm going to go out and try paint thinner then gas. .

Rene T said:
I just removed a decal off the side of my RV. It was about 6" Wide and maybe 4' Long. I used a decal removal eraser on my corded drill. Took maybe 1 hour. Not bad. I had tried a heat gun with a plastic razor blade and that didn't touch it. The decal was baked on. The only problem I have now is getting the glue residue off. Any ideas. I tried Goo Off and that didn't work. Tried Brake Cleaner and that did not work. Any ideas. I'm going to go out and try paint thinner then gas. .

Rene T
Have you tried WD-40?

mel s said:
Rene T
Have you tried WD-40?

No I haven't yet but that was one thing I was also going to try. When I find the one that works, I will get back to everyone.

Update:  I tried straight gas, WD-40,  Paint Thinner, M.E.K. (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) and acetone. None worked.

Lacquer thinner. Just be careful with it. But if you already tried brake cleaner and that didn't hurt the finish, you shouldn't hurt the finish underneath with the lacquer thinner.

We have always used Varsol, which is a brand name for a paint thinner, but it is a bit milder to work with.  Took stickers off of our rig and the glue too.  You do have to use a fair amount to soften it, then a soft cloth to rub the glue off.

Ed

Goof off or WD40 won't destroy the finish like thinners will.

kdbgoat said:
Lacquer thinner. Just be careful with it. But if you already tried brake cleaner and that didn't hurt the finish, you shouldn't hurt the finish underneath with the lacquer thinner.

Is lacquer thinner the same as regular paint thinner?

No, it's completely different. If brake cleaner didn't do it, regular paint thinner probably won't touch it either.

kdbgoat said:
No, it's completely different. If brake cleaner didn't do it, regular paint thinner probably won't touch it either.

Just up the street, there's a body shop who has done work for me in the past. I'm going to swing by the shop on Monday and get his opinion.  I'm going to see if Home Depot has any lacquer thinner.

No guarantees but when I bought mine the previous owner had duct taped cardboard over the front grill to get more heat. The garage I got it certified at told me to use coleman camp fuel. I had to pull the top of the tape off, but the glue residue that was left was tough to remove. The camp fuel did the job with a little elbow grease and didnt wreck the finish of the paint. The garage owner told me it was his secret weapon for removing almost anything from paint without wrecking it. It worked for me.

mayo or olive oil that's what I used on ours, rub it on liberally  let it soak in for a bit, might take a few tries

Muskoka, camp fuel is basically unleaded gasolene without the additives required on new engines.  So, no open flames, cigarets, etc if you decide to use it.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Muskoka, camp fuel is basically unleaded gasolene without the additives required on new engines.  So, no open flames, cigarets, etc if you decide to use it.

Ed

Thanks Ed. I've tried straight gas so far and that didn't work. I've got an idea to try today and I'll get back to all of you.

Try alcohol.  like you I tried all of the above to remove the glue from the door sill decal on the vette. Alcohol worked better than anything else. Still not fast but it did work. worth a try

Good old Ronsonal.....cigarette lighter fluid. It's naptha,  I do not know if VM&P naptha will work.

Back
Top Bottom