What is this on the outside of our 5th wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graycat

And what is it for?  It's marked with a red arrow in the first picture, and a close up in the second.

Attachments

• FW1.jpg
    FW1.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 174
  • FW2.jpg
    FW2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 139
Could be a place to insert the manual crank for the landing gear at the front of the 5'er.

Do you have an owners manual.  If not you might be able to find one online. 

AStravelers said:
Could be a place to insert the manual crank for the landing gear at the front of the 5'er.

X2. Open your front compartment and see if the hole is lined up with the leg assembly on that side.  There should be a short shaft coming out the top of the leg facing the hole in the RV.

Could it be a vent for plumbing. Seems to me I saw water coming out of the same spot on a fifth wheel in a campground when the owner accidentally hooked up his water to his plumbing tank flush. He clearly was a newbie. We just happened to be walking by and saw the water pouring out of the front of his rv. We shut off the water at the hose bib and knocked on his door. About the same time his wife started yelling from the bathroom lol. Guess maybe the toilet was full or overflowing. Im sure he did some damage.

AStravelers said:

Maybe, but I don't think so.  I'll look tomorrow. The middle is metal but is flush with the outer white part and it is round. So I front think it could be a place to crank or for water.

Graycat said:
Maybe, but I don't think so.  I'll look tomorrow. The middle is metal but is flush with the outer white part and it is round. So I front think it could be a place to crank or for water.

No, the crank handle will go through the hole and connect to a short shaft on the leg linkage. Look in the hole with a flashlight and see if you see a short shaft on the leg.

Rene T said:
No, the crank handle will go through the hole and connect to a short shaft on the leg linkage. Look in the hole with a flashlight and see if you see a short shaft on the leg.

There is no hole there, and the round metal part doesn't move.

I looked inside and there is a metal rod that goes through both leg columns.  Nothing in the manuals.  I guess it's time to call the previous owner. Not a crank post, not a drain, just a metal rod running through the top of the leg posts.

Got out figured out. The round metal part is actually a cap and with much prying, we got it off.  It is indeed a crank.

It's for cranking the landing gear in the event the motor fails or you lose power.  The crank and shaft for lowering the spare tire is the one that goes in there if you ever have to do it manually.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom