Rear louvered tailgate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickey G

How many of you are using the louvered 5th wheel tailgate?
I found on for $150 on Craigslist and Im wondering if its worth it, or just stay with my stock tailgate?

I have the Custom Flow notched tail gate on my Dodge/Cummins. The truck pulls GN and 5th wheel trailers. I color matched it to the truck.
Biggest plus is no worries about open/close the gate while hooking and unhooking.
Next biggest plus is the louvers lets all the packed air in the bed under the overhead and on out the back of the truck . Now I can carry stuff in the bed without it being sucked out.

When not towing the OEM gate goes on and the notched gate leans in the tractor shed. I'm 75 years old and no problems swapping them in just a couple of min.

there are advantages as Longhaul mentioned - biggest issue is- if your truck has a back up camera etc you have to unplug it - my new Ford is more complicated as its a power tailgate which lowers by a switch with camera and lights built in - so its a pain to remove

The louvered tailgate will allow air to flow out much easier and reduce turbulence greatly in the pickup bed.  Not to mention the ease of hookup and un-hooking.
In fact if anyone needs a louvered tailgate for a '97 or earlier Ford I still have that tail gate  and the truck is long gone.

The notched tailgate is very convenient for a 5W hook-up, but the louvers are of questionable value.  The louvers will alter the turbulence in the truck bed somewhat, but independent tests have not shown any positive effect on mpg. The louvers become irrelevant when towing anyway, since the wind resistance is all about the trailer.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The notched tailgate is very convenient for a 5W hook-up, but the louvers are of questionable value.  The louvers will alter the turbulence in the truck bed somewhat, but independent tests have not shown any positive effect on mpg. The louvers become irrelevant when towing anyway, since the wind resistance is all about the trailer.

There was a test done years ago on whether the gas mileage would improve if the tailgate was left open. It did nothing for increasing the flue mileage. So I think a louvered tailgate would have no benefit for mileage.

I have removed my tailgate when pulling the 5er, and it did make a difference in mileage. Started when we had a 98 sandpiper that was as aerodynamic as a brick. 7-8mpg with tailgate 9-10 without, and a side  benefit is that everything stayed put in the bed of my truck.

Back
Top Bottom