Help with East Coast Travel Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rayworld

Hi everyone,

This is Ray, from Spain. Me and my family (my wife and a 4yo little girl) are planning a 7-days trip through east coast. We want to rent an RV from New York (where we land) and travel to Boston, Niagara Falls, Scranton (big 'the office' fans here) and back to NY.

It'll be a 7-days trip and I have dozens of questions. I'm absolutely unexperienced on RV. Models, needs, costs... anything. So, here you have some questions.

- It's safe to do a roadtrip like this, on february? I mean, It will be snowy, water from RV could freeze... you know, we are travelling with a little girl and we need a confortable space to stay.
- Do you recommend a specific RV model to rent?
- Do you recommend a specific company to rent on?
- Which are the mandatory stops in our travel?
- Which are the best places / campings to stop in our travel?

Thank you all, and sorry if my english is not perfect!

Cheers!

I would not recommend doing this trip in February. You are probably picking the worst month of the year weather wise to be in New York.

http://www.holiday-weather.com/new_york_city/averages/

You do not want to be in the New England area during a blizzard in an RV and there is no way to predict one long term.

I agree, driving and unfamiliar RV in New England is February in not a good idea. Save you and your family a lot of stress and book some nice bed and breakfasts.  Your family will thank you.

This answer is something i was expecting. I'd checked weather before, and I was a little bit worried. That's why I asked here... By the other hand, (and I know this is not a travel forum), what do you recommend on this dates? stay on NYC and surroundings? rent a car and do short trips? I've never experienced a blizzard, so, I'm pretty unconfortable with that...  :-\

Thank you SeilerBird and WhoKares2 for your answer!

Getting in and out of NYC can be quite time consuming.  I would suggest plotting attractions you want to see and go on AirB&B and stay at the locations.  My daughter used them extensively this summer in Upper Michigan and really enjoyed it.

Over a 7 day period, on the route(s) you will be traveling, you can just about bet on driving in bad, or worse, snow, ice, freezing rain, conditions;at some point.  That's OK if you can afford the down/wait times for the weather to improve.  I live here and would not make a planned trip like that.  You will need to beable to plan travel around the weather forecasts.

I would suggest going to Florida and staying at Fort Wilderness at Disney World for a week. Perfect weather. Your Princess would be in heaven the entire time. Blizzards can be really terrible and chains might be required. You simply do not want to be in one. Go in May or June instead.

All of the attractions at Niagara Falls will be closed in February, including campgrounds. You would find few, if any, campgrounds open in the locations you mentioned.

I've been to Niagara Falls in February. It's beautiful when frozen over, but the temperatures are dangerously cold. If you didn't get sidetracked by bad weather, you would probably freeze in a rental RV. A vacation trip that horror movies are made about. Come in July or August.

This is why snowbirds go to Florida and Texas ect, to get away from winter. The water will freeze, everything will be closed, and you could end up staying in one spot for the whole week riding out a winter storm. I have driven in snow my whole life, and we wait for a break in the weather to sneak through to the south. No way to tell on any given week what the weather will be.

If you are not an experienced ice and snow driver, do NOT even consider a trip like that in the winter. You can encounter a storm, especially in the Niagara Falls area that can  drop a meter of snow overnight. A rental RV is not built for cold weather and you would not  be comfortable in one at that time of year - if you are even able to rent one. All campgrounds in the New York and Niagara area will be closed from October through the first of April.

I second the recommendation for making your trip one to Florida rather than New York in February.

Unless you like snow skiing and such. Then. perhaps a trip to Colorado for a week at Keystone or Steamboat, might be in order.

Late Spring is a much better time for the NY trip you are asking about.

Thank you guys for all your advices. I was talking with my family and explained all your comments. Definitely it is not a good vacation trip. Disneyland would be superb! I'll let you know about our final decision!

Thanks again!

rayworld said:
Thank you guys for all your advices. I was talking with my family and explained all your comments. Definitely it is not a good vacation trip. Disneyland would be superb! I'll let you know about our final decision!

Thanks again!
You are welcome. But not Disneyland, that is in California. Disney World is in Florida. If you want to spend a week there you would be better off in a motel and a rental car, but an RV is an option.

I agree with everyone that February is a terrible time to go to New York and Pennsylvania and Massachusetts, and doing it in a rented RV is a very terrible idea.  I'm not sure anybody would even have rental RVs available in the winter, and as someone else pointed out, most campgrounds are closed, and the few that are open, a lot of them don't have water available.

And seven days to pick up a rental RV in the New York City area, and visit Boston and Niagara Falls and Scranton is probably not enough time, even in good weather. 

Also, do you have a particular reason for wanting to see Scranton other than The Office?  The show wasn't filmed there, and the only real connection is some references in the show. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom