Best Way Suggestion to Put On New Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OKBecky

We are getting closer to getting to traveling with our used 5th wheel.  We have ordered new tires that should be here next week.  My husband didn't want to haul the trailer into the city to have them put on there.  Any suggestions about method of removing the old and transporting them to the tire shop?  My concern is whether doing one side at a time, leaving it up on jacks is best or other ideas?  Hope this isn't a dumb question.

There is no such thing as a dumb question. There is only one reason for an online forum to exist and that is to ask and answer questions. There are mobile tire dealers who will come to you to replace your tires.

SeilerBird said:
There is no such thing as a dumb question. There is only one reason for an online forum to exist and that is to ask and answer questions. There are mobile tire dealers who will come to you to replace your tires.

agreed they will however charge you more - why the hesitation taking it in? it may well save you a bunch of $$$$

I'd suggest putting some sort of blocks under the frame after jacking it up. Most portable jacks aren't reliable enough to leave it on the jack(s) alone.  I don't think it makes much difference whether you do it side by side or axle by axle. Side-by-side is probably easiest for you.

I just removed all my wheels to repack the bearings. I jacked up one side at a time with my bottle jack under the frame then placed blocking under the frame next to the jack then went to the other side.
Before you do that, break all the lug nuts loose first before jacking the wheels off the ground. Then tighten them when they are back on the ground.

Depending on the time, tools, and blocking material (for the trailer frame to rest on) that you have available, removing all the tires/wheels yourself and then reinstalling them all later is a pretty hefty amount of work.  I'm not sure what city you're close to, but surely there is a qualified mechanic/garage somewhere within driving distance that has trailer experience and can handle a tire swap?  I used an independent shop in my small town and was very pleased... got a great price on the tires too.  Tire mounting/balancing costs are usually pretty reasonable, and it was worth avoiding the hassles to have someone else do the work in this case.

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I will share your words of wisdom with my husband. 

The first set i bought i did it by jacking 1 side changing 2 tires and then back to do the other. after that i took the trailer to a tire shop. either way works.

SeilerBird said:
Isn't that two reasons???    ;D

Back
Top Bottom