EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Best Way Suggestion to Put On New Tires  (Read 416 times)

OKBecky

• ---
Best Way Suggestion to Put On New Tires
« on: September 17, 2017, 09:27:52 AM »
We are getting closer to getting to traveling with our used 5th wheel.  We have ordered new tires that should be here next week.  My husband didn't want to haul the trailer into the city to have them put on there.  Any suggestions about method of removing the old and transporting them to the tire shop?  My concern is whether doing one side at a time, leaving it up on jacks is best or other ideas?  Hope this isn't a dumb question.

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
Re: Best Way Suggestion to Put On New Tires
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 09:39:44 AM »
There is no such thing as a dumb question. There is only one reason for an online forum to exist and that is to ask and answer questions. There are mobile tire dealers who will come to you to replace your tires.
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 10:33:49 AM »
There is no such thing as a dumb question. There is only one reason for an online forum to exist and that is to ask and answer questions. There are mobile tire dealers who will come to you to replace your tires.

agreed they will however charge you more - why the hesitation taking it in? it may well save you a bunch of $$$$
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5200lbs cargo/weight capacity named Kong

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh?

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 10:45:36 AM »
I'd suggest putting some sort of blocks under the frame after jacking it up. Most portable jacks aren't reliable enough to leave it on the jack(s) alone.  I don't think it makes much difference whether you do it side by side or axle by axle. Side-by-side is probably easiest for you.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 10:56:50 AM »
I just removed all my wheels to repack the bearings. I jacked up one side at a time with my bottle jack under the frame then placed blocking under the frame next to the jack then went to the other side.
Before you do that, break all the lug nuts loose first before jacking the wheels off the ground. Then tighten them when they are back on the ground.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

scottydl

• Admin assist
  • ---
  • Central IL
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 11:52:53 AM »
Depending on the time, tools, and blocking material (for the trailer frame to rest on) that you have available, removing all the tires/wheels yourself and then reinstalling them all later is a pretty hefty amount of work.  I'm not sure what city you're close to, but surely there is a qualified mechanic/garage somewhere within driving distance that has trailer experience and can handle a tire swap?  I used an independent shop in my small town and was very pleased... got a great price on the tires too.  Tire mounting/balancing costs are usually pretty reasonable, and it was worth avoiding the hassles to have someone else do the work in this case.
Scott, wife, 3 boys... and the dog
- 2008 Forest River Wildwood 32BHDS
- 1995 Chevrolet Suburban C2500 tow vehicle
- 1994 Thor Residency motorhome... owned 2007-2012

OKBecky

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 06:20:34 PM »
Thank you all for your suggestions.   I will share your words of wisdom with my husband. 

glen54737

• ---
  • My camping buddy
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 07:56:04 AM »
The first set i bought i did it by jacking 1 side changing 2 tires and then back to do the other. after that i took the trailer to a tire shop. either way works.
2018 Thor Miramar 35.2
2015 F-350 CC short box 6.7l 3.55 axle
2015 Alpine 3510RE-sold

Glen,Nene
Mickey & Jayco (yorkies)

BobX2

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 04:07:50 PM »
Isn't that two reasons???    ;D
2009 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL

Hosted by Over The Network