EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Black Water Valve Problem  (Read 242 times)

johntk

• ---
Black Water Valve Problem
« on: September 17, 2017, 03:20:05 PM »
2015 Fleetwood Southwind 34A

My black water valve has become very difficult to pull open. It closes normally.

I had been at a park for over a week and emptied my tanks every 3 days with no problem. The last time I emptied before we left I could barely get the valve open.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be will be most appreciated. I don't like forcing the valve open. I'm afraid that pulling too hard might cause damage.

Thanks,
John
John

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Re: Black Water Valve Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 03:23:23 PM »
Do you have easy access to the valve?  If you do, you may need to disassemble it and see what the problem is. It could be a rolled gasket.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

JFN

• ---
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 03:27:35 PM »
I have no Idea how to advise you on the valve but I do recommend this valve asap. I believe all should have this. I purchased it after a valve was open with a full load, yep right out of RV.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505679821&sr=8-2&keywords=black+water+valve+rv
John & Connie Neal
2006 Dodge 2500 5.9, PacBrake
Smarty Jr Tuned
2006 KZ 29.5' Durango
MaxBrake, Brake Controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
K6JFN

johntk

• ---
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 04:10:20 PM »
A rolled gasket could be the problem. However, it seems like the valve would leak if the gasket wasn't in place. I do have fairly easy access to the valve, but disassembly would be a real hassle.

Thanks for the idea,
John
John

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 06:42:04 PM »
I have no Idea how to advise you on the valve but I do recommend this valve asap. I believe all should have this. I purchased it after a valve was open with a full load, yep right out of RV.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-Twist-On-Waste-Valve/dp/B000BGHYJS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1505679821&sr=8-2&keywords=black+water+valve+rv

What John is saying, mount this valve on the end of your sewer pipe. It serves as a backup in case your primary valve leaks by.
AKA  Pep N Mem

Rene T

• ---
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 06:43:27 PM »
A rolled gasket could be the problem. However, it seems like the valve would leak if the gasket wasn't in place. I do have fairly easy access to the valve, but disassembly would be a real hassle.

Thanks for the idea,
John

The valve is actually a gate valve with a gasket on both sides of the gate. One side could be rolled and the other gasket is holding back the crap and bnot leaking yet. This is only my opinion.

One question, is the valve operated by a cable or is the handle connected right to the valve stem?
AKA  Pep N Mem

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 07:56:13 PM »
When the valve is in the open position there is a gap that allows "stuff" to flow into the body where the blade resides when open.  The shaft should be angled up as much as possible, but often they are not.  If you have easy access, simply swap it out with a new one because there is no way to properly clean the valve body.

johntk

• ---
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 11:02:10 AM »
Thanks for all the info.

Rene T: It is not a cable operated valve.

Guess I'll disassemble next time I'm at a dump site.'

Thanks again,
John
John

Hosted by Over The Network