Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTM

Any suggestions on where to get general insurance coverage for a Class A motorhome

Figure out what coverages you need and then get quotes form at least 3-4 insurers. An agency that specializes in RV insurance, e.g. Miller RV Insurance, can help, but get quotes form a few of the majors yourself. They are easy to find and you can request quotes online.

National General (Good Sam) Insurance has been least expensive coverage each time I compared.  We haven't had any claims other then window chips, which they covered 100%, no questions asked. 

As was noted above, being able to reduce coverage while in storage can be important.  I just put mine away until Oct. 25.  That change saved me about $125.  Any time you won't be using the MH for 30 days or more, you save a chunk.

Make sure to specify whether you need full timers coverage as well as coverage for your towed vehicle. I think Allied will not package coach and car together. They had a great rate on the coach but by the time you added a vehicle (Progressive) package was over 1300/year on a 2010 coach and a 1999 Jeep.

So far AARP and Hartford has been the best quote as it is for coach and car. Its just soooooo much fun shopping for insurance as my carrier has ceased doing business in WA state.

National General (Good Sam) Insurance has been least expensive coverage each time I compared. 

Just to illustrate the need for shopping around, National General (GS) was always 50% or more higher than some of the other companies who provided quotes to me. So was Progressive.  And the company that provides a good rate one year may become a very expensive provider by year 2 or 3.

We've been with State farm for years. DW has been with them since she was 16. I recently priced out insurance on all my stuff at the same coverage amount, and same deductibles. No one beat what I'm paying State Farm.

Just finished shopping for insurance for the motor home and car. Not one of my favorite activities. Did find the best coverage through The Miller Agency in Oregon. About $120 a year more than The Hartford through AARP, but significantly better coverage for us as full timers.

And very satisfied with the way everything was handled.

kdbgoat said:
We've been with State farm for years. DW has been with them since she was 16. I recently priced out insurance on all my stuff at the same coverage amount, and same deductibles. No one beat what I'm paying State Farm.

Been there done that. SF for everything here, however they do outsource the rv insurance, but I still get a SF card. No one beat what I'm paying either.

We had National General (GS) on our 5th wheel with replacement value, but they couldn't do on the Class A because it was too old.  We ended up with Safeco as they were pretty competitive at the time.

I was going to suspend over the winter as Safeco allows for liability, but I think I'll be driving it at least once a month this year to keep it in shape.

Hey, while purchasing an insurance first make a checklist of the amount of coverage that you need for your Motorhome. The insurance plans vary according to the type of motor and the insurance coverage required. My brother has recently got the insurance by comparing insurance quotes on different websites that help to design the policy according to the requirement. The insurance policy will have the basic coverage of the property along with accidental and disaster damage.

I am a member of USAA dot com. If you can join them, then their RV insurance is discounted and good. I've had a few comprehensive claims with no issues.

DearMissMermaid said:
I am a member of USAA dot com. If you can join them, then their RV insurance is discounted and good. I've had a few comprehensive claims with no issues.

USAA has a deal with Progressive for MH insurance as they do not wright MH insurance.  They did insure my TT when I had one.

DTM said:
Any suggestions on where to get general insurance coverage for a Class A motorhome

As you can see, there are all sorts of experiences from members here... and TONS of factors that will impact your potential expense.  Your state of residence, driving record, past insurance claims, credit history, marital status, you name it!  Just about any auto insurer will be able to offer an RV policy.  Call around or get online, and get as many quotes as you have time for.  You may get a discount if you use the same carrier that covers your other cars/residence, but that may not automatically mean it's the least expensive.

And compare apples to apples, many will give lower coverage, thus, a lower quote.

Forgive me if it's obvious, but don't forget to have whoever carries your current insurance quote this.  Adding to your existing policy seems to bring the price down considerably, due to multi-policy discounts and so forth.  We have Country for all our insurance, and the price to add our coach was really reasonable, and significantly cheaper than other quotes.

Back
Top Bottom