Mystery Docking Light Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MN Blue Skies

Site Team
I'm not sure if these are docking lights or not. ??? Please see pics.  Anyhow we are not able to turn off these lights even though the battery and shore power have been disconnected.  We have a 2013 Cougar High Country RES 315.  The manual is not helpful.  I've also attached a pic of the remote and relay box (?).  Please keep your response very plain and simple since I have no technical knowledge regarding this problem.

Attachments

• Docking Lights.jpg
    Docking Lights.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Remote.jpg
    Remote.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Relay Box.jpg
    Relay Box.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 42
Hey Max,

Did you try pushing up on the light housing itself or maybe what looks like a button in the picture.

Is that non technical enough for you....

In doing my research I've noticed that lots of other people seem to have had the same problem.  Unfortunately none of the sites explained how/if they solved the problem.

First picture.  Think of an LED with the battery included where you push on the plastic housing where the light shines thru to turn it on or off.

Just a possibility,

Bill, thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it's not the solution.

I wonder if I would get more suggestions if I posted the question under Tech Talk?

Max, your first picture appears to show a light inside an underbay.  If so, then it won't be a docking light but an underbay light, the purpose of which is to provide enough light so you can find things inside the underbay even in the dark.  We have a switch inside the motorhome where we can turn on/off all the underbay lights.  That's in case you leave them on accidentally so the battery doesn't get run down.  Perhaps you should look for a switch that controls underbay lights.  See my first photo.

A docking light, on the other hand, is on the outside of the RV and usually near the tires so the driver can see them when parking at night.  See my second and third photos for the front and rear docking lights.  Our motorhome has a dashboard switch near the driver to turn on the docking lights when needed to see outside the motorhome at night.

ArdraF

Attachments

• Bay light inside (Medium).JPG
    Bay light inside (Medium).JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Front docking light outside (Medium).JPG
    Front docking light outside (Medium).JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Rear docking light outside (Medium).JPG
    Rear docking light outside (Medium).JPG
    177.2 KB · Views: 15
ArdraF, it's entirely possibly that I don't know the correct name for the lights.  The docking lights (?) I am referring to are located on the outside front of the 5th wheel.  I have attached a picture where I am pointing to one of the two round LED lights.  It's confusing because the lights are right above the mirror on the front of the 5th wheel.  The mirror is used to assist in hitching up the 5th wheel.  The lights and mirror are behind and above the Trailair 5th wheel king pin.

Attachments

• 170919_001.jpg
    170919_001.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 35
Max, that light is considered one of the scare lights. I have three scare lights controlled by one switch either by a switch inside the rig or the controller switch.

My switch and controller lights up those above the pin box just like yours.

They also it turns on the flood light on the drivers side of the rig above the utilities doors.

It also it turns on a light on the upper corner near the roof on the passenger side.  Yours may be a little different as far as location of the lights.

Do you have power to the controller. Can you turn it on?  If not, your battery may be dead inside the controller.

Looking at the controller, the button on the right is for power. Push it and hold it for a few seconds. The screen should light up unless the background contrast is turned down so low that you can't read anything in the screen.

The button in the middle is for a tiny flashlight which is right next to the tiny antenna.

The left button if I remember right, is for turning the scare lights on and off. I don't remember right now if you need to power the controller on for the flashlight or the scare lights to work. But you need to have a good battery inside the controller. Takes a CR-2 battery. 

I had a similar thing on our Keystone Fuzion. The outside light over the entrance steps would not go off. I have a battery disconnect switch, even with it turned off, the light would stay on. There is a rocker switch inside that had no effect on the light, and the switch would stay illuminated even with the battery switch in the off position. To make a long story short, if you turn that particular light on with the remote controller, you can only turn it off with the controller. Crazy. To me, the battery disconnect should be just that. I'm sure there is some logic to this, but not to me.

To avoid any confusion Max, replace the word Controller in my previous post with the word REMOTE.  The controller is actually the brain mounted inside your front compartment.

The problem was the relay box.  I disconnected the wire for the lights from the relay box and now they work thru the inside switch. Relay box is $420 so replacing that is not an option.

mn blue skies II said:
The problem was the relay box.  I disconnected the wire for the lights from the relay box and now they work thru the inside switch. Relay box is $420 so replacing that is not an option.

Great!!!!

Rene, thanks for helping us trouble shoot the remote so that Eric could identify the problem with the relay.  It saved us over $400.  ;D

I always appreciate when someone tells everyone else how they resolved a problem after so many people spend time trying to help. Happy for Max and Eric.  ??

MN Blue Skies said:
Rene, thanks for helping us trouble shoot the remote so that Eric could identify the problem with the relay.  It saved us over $400.  ;D

You are most welcome.

Back
Top Bottom