Chevy 4500 or Ford 350 Coachmen Freelander 24 foot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carver4591

Well I'm going to buy another motor home, just miss camping and being on the road too much. I would love some input on weather to buy a Ford or Chevy as I have both I'm looking at used. I'm not going to tow and gas consumption is a priority. I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks! 

I can't answer factually, but I would think the difference in gas consumption to be negligible. If gas is a major concern though, I think you're in the wrong game

rockin rockwood said:
If gas is a major concern though, I think you're in the wrong game

I agree with the above.
From my experience, and from what I've read, plan on about 7 to 8 miles per gallon, no matter what motorhome you get. There are exceptions though.

Ford or Chevy- it really doesn't matter. One is as good as the other. Being you are buying used, #1 item is floorplan, followed by #2- floorplan, then followed closely by #3-condition. Brand of chassis or house really doesn't matter as long as it has the features you want, and doesn't have features you don't want.

The Chevy 4500 is a much heavier duty chassis than the E350 Ford.  Are these tow RVs the same size?  The 4500 is equivalent to the Ford 450.

All other things being equal, I would opt for the stronger chassis with more weight carrying capacity.  Rarely are "other things equal", though.

They both carry a 24 foot motorhome. Im hoping the Ford is enough as it is by far the better deal.

Is the chevy a coachmen as well. I agree with Gary. The 4500 is basically a two ton frame. The 350 is a one ton frame. You will be giving up a bit in the cargo department. You dont mention what motors each has.

Wow, you guys are really giving me pause to think over my decision. I don't think a one ton frame is enough to carry a 24 foot motorhome with problems with shocks and bearings wearing out quicker. I guess I will hold out for a Chevy.

muskoka guy said:
Is the chevy a coachmen as well. I agree with Gary. The 4500 is basically a two ton frame. The 350 is a one ton frame. You will be giving up a bit in the cargo department. You dont mention what motors each has.
Well not a 2 ton frame, the 4500 is a 1 1/4 ton frame, it's 3500 1 ton, 4500 1 1/4 ton, 5500 1 1/2 ton and 6500 2 ton.

The class designation of 3500.350 vs 4500 is not very accurate. Use the chassis GVWR and cargo carrying ratings to make a meaningful comparison.

By the time you put a motorhome body on an E350, the chassis is pretty well maxed out, so it is working hard all the time. The 4500 should provide a bit of extra capacity.  That said,  B & C class motorhomes have been built on E-series vans for 40+ years now and I'm not aware of the wheels falling off or axles breaking.  If the Ford suits your needs better and is in good condition, I would say "go for it". Chassis capacity is just one of many factors you should consider.

Wow, thanks everyone for the responses. I would assume that when you fill the water tanks, propane, gas, load it with camping gear, and max out the grey and black water tanks, that would further stress the vehicle out also. Am I right in this assumption? Such a big decision for me so I hate to beat a dead horse. I would really be interested in hearing from someone that owned a ford E350 with a 24 foot motorhome and the experience that they had. Thanks Brad

Every coach or trailer has a GVWR, the max weight it can be. You need to look at the unladen weight vs the GVWR and then estimate the weight of people, water & gear you will carry. As long as that doesn't exceed the GVWR, it's OK. Granted, loaded to the max is somewhat more stressful on the vehicle than, say, 500 lbs under max, but the engineers have taken that into account when the GVWR was established.

There should be a weight rating placard in/on the RV somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom