Dometic RM660 fridge problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digger89L

I'm new to the forum, and new to RV'ing. My wife and I bought a vintage 1979 Dodge Diplomat 23 foot class C vehicle a few months ago  ...with only 40,000 miles on it!!  It's a real time capsule, well maintained and runs just fine. Everything is original, including the Dometic RM660 three-way fridge. I've been struggling trying to get the fridge up and running. I've done all the suggested things: cleaned the burner (its working fine now ...nice blue flame); checked all the electrical stuff, etc., etc.; even removed the fridge and 'burped' it a few times (even though the 'experts' say that makes no difference). I could hear the refrigerant gurgling through the pipes. Here's the present status: on 12v and 120v the heater warms up, but doesn't seem to get hot enough to circulate the refrigerant. (again, the 'experts' say the 12v and 120v heaters are a 'no work' or 'work' situation  ...either get hot, or don't even get warm, so 'getting warm' puzzles me). The propane heater works much better: seems to be circulating the refrigerant nicely; can hear it gurgling thru the pipes, and the tubes at the back (bottom part that I can reach) get hot enough that I can't leave my hand on them for more than 20 sec or so. However, the fridge does not get cool inside  ...its actually about 10 degrees warmer than the temp outside the fridge. I've left it running on propane for more than 12 hours  ....no cooling. So ....not sure what to do next?  Getting the current fridge repaired at a professional shop, or replacing it with a new one are 'options of last resort' as either would likely double the value of the old RV !!  One option I'm seriously considering is replacing it with a small 120v 'bar fridge' (1.7 or 2.2 or 3.3 cu ft) that could possible be operated off an inverter so I can use it while the RV is moving.  Any helpful comments or suggestions are welcome.

Hearing gurgling is not a good sign - an absorption fridge is normally completely silent in operation.

You can get a service manual for it at http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/rmX60.pdf but I think that "bar fridge" is going to be your answer.

Well, that's interesting. Other research I've done says gurgling is a good thing: indicates the refrigerant is 'there' ...and that it's boiling and circulating. I've seen no evidence of an ammonia leak ...no smell, no residue, etc.
I've already downloaded that service manual (the RV actually came with the fridge owner manual, and it has much the same info, only less detailed, as the service manual. Neither has a numbered parts list, though. Curious) and it is very, very general when it comes to diagnosing problems.
The fridge sat unused for 5 or 6 years, so perhaps that's part of the problem. Maybe the ammonia leaked out quite a while back, and the smell has disappaited. Any advice on 'waking up' a dormant fridge?  Would pressure test tell me anything?

Hi Digger89L, We are in the exact same situation as you with our Dometic RM660. Bought a 1984 time capsule as well....has been stored indoors for 10+ years. We have tried all of the same things as you. After cleaning burner tube & jet, the pilot will light, electric heats the big round tube on the back (not sure what it's called), but fridge does not get cool. Would be super grateful to know if you found a fix. Would hate to junk it as the entire unit is in absolutely mint new condition.

Welcome to the forum.
Unlikely that Digger89L will respond. It’s been nearly 4 years since he posted last.
I would recommend to you to start a new post and give us as many details as possible. RV brand and model, fridge make and model and anything that you’ve tried.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom